Do you put a mechanical filter AFTER K1 ?

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
I use to have 2 x 55 gal drums full of moving K1, (plus other filters) around 200 litres of the stuff. It has like every other media pros and cons. Lets put it this way, I've used it moving, great, self cleaning to some extent but noisy and the air required is vast. Static, umm, channels bad, can clog without good pre-filtering but ok, just. But after running them for 2 years removed all the K1 and K3 and sold it. My stats are far better now. I am talking Koi here. K1 from my tests and bio loads is not that good at converting Nitrite-Nitrate, ok at Am-Nitrite as is anything. I can post a test result of tape media vs K1 and the facts are staggering. I applicate your using it in an aquarium setting but thought I'd just comment, and yes, pre-filtering is a must to get the best out of K1, if not and your using it 'moving' you just recirculate the dirt. Static and it will clog, as in an easy pod which I still use on my skimmer line, this has no pre-filter and requires flushing and cleaning every 2 days in summer, but I just use it as a mechanical filter. Sorry really gone off topic here.

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
I use to have 2 x 55 gal drums full of moving K1, (plus other filters) around 200 litres of the stuff. It has like every other media pros and cons. Lets put it this way, I've used it moving, great, self cleaning to some extent but noisy and the air required is vast. Static, umm, channels bad, can clog without good pre-filtering but ok, just. But after running them for 2 years removed all the K1 and K3 and sold it. My stats are far better now. I am talking Koi here. K1 from my tests and bio loads is not that good at converting Nitrite-Nitrate, ok at Am-Nitrite as is anything. I can post a test result of tape media vs K1 and the facts are staggering. I applicate your using it in an aquarium setting but thought I'd just comment, and yes, pre-filtering is a must to get the best out of K1, if not and your using it 'moving' you just recirculate the dirt. Static and it will clog, as in an easy pod which I still use on my skimmer line, this has no pre-filter and requires flushing and cleaning every 2 days in summer, but I just use it as a mechanical filter. Sorry really gone off topic here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store