Do you Quarantine or sterilize plants?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Interesting stuff. I just rinse thouroughly with tap water. I guess that is not enough?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Interesting stuff. I just rinse thouroughly with tap water. I guess that is not enough?
Hello; I guess it is like a QT for fish in the sense we are taking a chance if we do not do something. I have not bought plants in years as my plants keep growing so no need. I am going to have to re-think my approach for the future.
It is the question of what a person does with new information. I have been lucky in the past but now that I am more aware I will not be able to ignore the risk.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I bought plants from nursery which are grown immersed or from hobbyists tanks in auctions. They don’t carry leeches or exotic pests, but can introduce ich. This happened to me one time and took me a week to clear ich. I do not quarantine plants because I don’t have a quarantine tank that provides optimum photosynthetic conditions for plants. Plants are more sensitive than fish and placing plants in a quarantine tank lacking optimum condition will melt away, a certain death sentence

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have kept plants for weeks in a glass vase.
No harm came to the plants.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have kept plants for weeks in a glass vase.
No harm came to the plants.
Depending on the type of plants, and there are hundred of species in cultivation. Some bullet proof plants are weed and can withstand abuse, others, very sensitive. I won't risk placing a $20 rare Buce in a jar in less than optimum condition and let it melt away.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I qt plants in a plastic tote and treat with potassium permaganate or mix of water/bleach or salt bath. Keep in mind plants can be sensitive to these chemicals.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Depending on the type of plants, and there are hundred of species in cultivation. Some bullet proof plants are weed and can withstand abuse, others, very sensitive. I won't risk placing a $20 rare Buce in a jar in less than optimum condition and let it melt away.
If you fertilize and change water often they should live I would think
I did with Anubias, cryptocorne, echinodorus for weeks. I also used some glutural. Plants requiring high CO2 may need CO2 in addition.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store