Does any feed their Flowerhorn raw garlic?

Freddie T.

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2016
I've read and seen video regarding the benefits of feed raw garlic to their flowerhorn. Anyone here feed garlic to their fish?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well about twice a week I'll soak (for a short time) my FH's food (either pellets or sun-dried shrimp) in raw, sliced garlic with a bit of tank water. It'll get pretty concentrated (and smelly!) if you leave the garlic & water to sit for about an hour first in a small sealable tupperware like jobbie.

Then when feeding I'll sometimes give him a small piece of the garlic -- he'll usually chew on it for a few seconds, then spit it out (then go back to it and do the same until I put in more pellets). I think it's a little strong for his tastes raw like that but other fish might like it. Thinking about ordering some NLS Thera A+ as an even easier way to get him garlic, which for sure has it's benefits for fish and people.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Garlic yes, fresh garlic, no. The problem with fresh garlic is the terrestrial based oil, fish don't tend to do well assimilating oils found in terrestrial based plant matter. In fact there have been studies done on marine species that were fed a fresh garlic mix in a feed trial that caused liver damage among the test subjects. Numerous studies with freshwater species fed terrestrial based plant matter have had the same results. I have been feeding pellets that contain garlic for approx. 15 yrs, but it's a small inclusion rate and in a dry form. (no oil)

I posted the following back in 2012

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/garlic-and-the-prevention-of-disease.458994/

HTH

Reactions: PeteZahut

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Dang I'm no fanboy (of anyone except maybe Alex Honnold), but I learn something new most every day from you RD. As I'm now feeding NLS and Hikari Bio-gold, my fh is likely getting enough garlic from those anyway, so will discontinue the fresh garlic, which I was only doing now and then.

Just out of curiosity for future reference, would Seachem Garlic Guard (say somebody wanted to supplement in the event of an ich breakout), have the same issue you describe above, or not since it's not fresh?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I wouldn't worry about Seachem GarlicGuard as the fat level from the garlic would be negligible, if even present at all in that product? Keep in mind that it's only the fat from terrestrial based plant matter that causes problems, and only if fed in excessive amounts. A little now and then won't be a problem, but as you say if a fish is already getting the same garlic compounds etc in a dry form, from a commercial food, then why bother with fresh? Finfish do best getting their fatty acids from marine sources, such as fish/krill/shrimp etc, not from soybeans, cottonseed, garlic, etc.

Reactions: Coryloach

FlowerhornAmature

Feeder Fish
May 14, 2018
I currently have a FH in a hospital tank that has just stopped eating I've tried feeding frozen bookworms in seachem garlic mix but still not eating I'm currently treating for internal parasites since he has had white poo what can I do to get him eating again. He's been in there for 2 weeks has been eating well until 2 days ago, should I be worried?

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
RD, you are the man! FH owners just want to pump their fish up and feed all kinds of crap. It's all about genes. Pellets are a man made food for man made fish. . .period. I've got some great fish and do wonderful on pellets. Flowerhornamature, you need to get some Epsom salt in his belly! Only. . . .best way to help him

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Raw garlic is no good for the reasons RD. posted. In fact fish don't even like it much in raw form. But if you microwave some with a bit of water until it softens and then chop it up it gets taken way more eagerly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store