does anybody know where to find rock bass?

Charlied81

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2021
Pa
I know in Pa they are all over where i live. I used to catch them all the time at the river. I stopped fishing a few years ago though.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I want a rock bass or 2 for a 300 gallon tank and can't find them anywhere.
If you live in Ohio in the Cincinnati area private message me because there’s a spot 5-10 minutes away from my house called goggle-eye, it’s been named after the large population of rock bass in the area and on a bad day you can catch 5 little 3-4 inch rock bass here’s one I caught last time I targeted the species a while agoCF5A5B78-5EE7-4C93-B57F-F2E6993C362C.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Rock Bass range maps indicate they are found in most of eastern Iowa. Just go to a bait store and ask, you'll probably get directions to a spot where you can catch your own. They are aggressive biters and usually easy to catch. Use barbless hooks, or just pinch down the barbs on a standard hook with pliers, to make removal from the hook easy without causing damage to the fish. Handle the fish with wet hands to preserve the slime coating. Don't wait for the fish to swallow the bait deeply; you want to set the hook when it's just held by the lips. Injuries like this heal quickly and completely; I've caught many aquarium specimens this way without issues.

SyTheSnakeGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2021
Got it! I won't do this until at least we upgrade my western painted turtle tank where there are already 1 green sunfish and I like the native idea for my turtle tank because they are almost like cichlids in the way that they are defensive and my turtle gets along with my green sunfish

Reactions: Caveden

Burn033

Feeder Fish
Apr 26, 2021
I'm in Dubuque an can catch them on the mississippi around the train bridges. Picture from last summer.

20210515_154556.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store