Does anybody read books anymore?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In reference to a recent post by dankfishtanks called something like Sub Adult Vieja ID, I referenced the Aqualog book (and cichlidae.com) before venturing what I suspected was a decent answer, fullsizeoutput_126d.jpeg
In Aqualog there are 4 photos of hartwegii, a juvie, a young male, a mature male, and a female.
Info states where it is found, (counties, river system)and estimated size.

D_Abadie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
New Orleans, La.
I think about the magazine approach every now and then but have never pulled the trigger on any subscriptions. I may have to check out aqua log and dr Axelrod too. I think that’s more along the line of what I’m looking for.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Sometimes I get tired of searching the internet for everything. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best books to read for this hobby? Not necessarily on running a successful aquarium, but more along the lines of information on the actual fish that we keep and the history of them, and the locations where they’re found in the wild. Specifically central and South American cichlids. What are the staples that everybody should have, or at least read?
You have piqued my interest in this. Good job.

Reactions: D_Abadie

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If cichlids are your thing, the American Cichlid Assn has its own E-magazine the Buntbarche Bulliten, and when you join you get membership in the Cichlid Room Companion, (cichlidae.com) which I consider a fantastic resource.
There is also Cichlid News Magazine,

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
If cichlids are your thing, the American Cichlid Assn has its own E-magazine the Buntbarche Bulliten, and when you join you get membership in the Cichlid Room Companion, (cichlidae.com) which I consider a fantastic resource.
There is also Cichlid News Magazine,
Very very cool. Thank you.
-Dave

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Dr. axelrod's atlas of freshwater fish is great. Huge hardcover atlas of tons of fish, similar to the ones duanes posted above. I got one when I was young and I remember searching through the pages for days just looking at all the different fish.
Me too. I kept it by my nightstand and would look through it for hrs at a time when I was a kid

Reactions: Gourami Swami

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In my first stint as a fishkeeper I kept red bellied piranhas. I'm talking nearly 30 years ago, way before the days of the Internet. I only got them because of the wow factor. Then I realised I knew nothing about them!!! So I went to a fish shop but they didn't have any piranha books unsurprisingly so I had to order one and they were kind enough to send off for it for me.

Anyway, I read the book and it must have been a decent one because I raised those piranhas from 2" to about 11" and had them for about 10 years. That book saved my skin. But nowadays i'd never dream of buying a book or magazine, what with the plethora of online information.

I'm an avid reader of novels but even them I order on my kindle. How the world has changed since that book on piranhas helped me out.

Reactions: Matteus

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Books just get out of date way to fast nowadays. I am however, reading a fairly new book on the search for life in outer space :)

D_Abadie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
New Orleans, La.
Ok, I signed up for Amazonas, and I found a used edition of aqualogs volume 3 for $13. Dr Axelrod encyclopedia is a little too pricey right now. I’ll need to look for a used edition of that one as well. Thanks everybody for y’alls suggestions.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store