Dollar Sunfish

b73788

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Hi, I have been keeping fish for a few years, and I have 3 aquariums. I just recently built a ~200 gallon pond. I've got 5 dollar sunfish in it. So far they will eat bloodworms and brine shrimp, but wont touch pellets or flakes yet. What else should I feed them?

Thanks

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
b73788 said:
Hi, I have been keeping fish for a few years, and I have 3 aquariums. I just recently built a ~200 gallon pond. I've got 5 dollar sunfish in it. So far they will eat bloodworms and brine shrimp, but wont touch pellets or flakes yet. What else should I feed them?

Thanks
Crickets, other insects, small earthworms, baby crayfish, scuds, and fairyshrimp.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
One way to get them onto flakes, granules, etc., is sprinkle some among small crickets on the surface, then each day use fewer crickets until they are taking if dry food. This gets them to see the flakes as something to eat.

b73788

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Sarasota, FL
guppy said:
One way to get them onto flakes, granules, etc., is sprinkle some among small crickets on the surface, then each day use fewer crickets until they are taking if dry food. This gets them to see the flakes as something to eat.
Good idea, thanks!

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Guppy's method should work. You could also try offering the sunfish nothing except the dry foods every day, they will eventually come around, this is similer to the starvation method except the option to eat the dry food is there for them, make sure you remove the food if they don't eat it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store