Dec 28, 2008
Guelph, Ontario
All because a couple jackass' tossed the fish into a few lakes. GTFO

yoganathan_kn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
india
HI GUYS HERE IN INDIA IT'S GROWN IN AQUACULTURE.
the problem with snakeheads arises when people dump them in the river. why not eat them? if it gets bigger.:D
btw u can get a fingerling of six inches for 7rupees here in india
they go by the name of avuri and viraal in tamilnadu india;)

Reginator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Euzkadi
How is the status of these fellows in the EU? I heard something about new laws in 2010 but can't find anything here in Spain (surprise surprise)....

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi Reginator,

There are new laws, but they are to protect the fishery industry from two hazardous infections, KHV an EUS.
If this laws are in action a lot of species are threatebnd to be banned. But not completely, the source (country or wholeseller in Asia) has to proof that his fish ar free of these diseases.
It could affect a lot of species that are in the aquarium fish trade. All Labyrintish fish,loaches,eels,barbs....

Ther will be scientific testing in a german university to check on various species, including Channa species. I give some of my asiatica offspring to the tests.
Channaholics are hopeing tghat the test results will be negative. By the way, no one has ever seen KHV and EUS on a channa here in Europe, but there are rumours from the C. striata breeding stations in Asia, that some fish have died fromm illnesses that COULD be EUS, but its not proven yet.

ptarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Netherlands
It is not 'just because some people turned them loose' that governments decided to ban the species. I have seen and read about snakeheads that escaped tanks from people who thought they had them secured and that escaped the (cooling) boxes their were kept in, whether for consumption or for transport. The fact of the matter is that these fish are extremely good at surviving conditions that would kill other fish. Their survival tactics coupled with the fact that they are agressive carnivores and breed really, really fast and that they do not have any natural predators in the areas that they escape into makes them extremely dangerous to indiginous wildlife.

I understand people like these fish, but I think it's a matter of perspective. I'd rather not be able to keep a fish that is known to be a hazard to local wildlife, however careful you are in keeping it, than to accidentally be at least partly responsible for it escaping and endangering local wildlife.

Or are people really that egotistical?

"I want to keep a fish, and I don't care if it's a possible hazard to local wildlife."

I thought fish keepers were better than that.

splintercell H2O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
missouri
quick question i know they are banned and all but i would like to know what fish the could survive with a snakehead and how large the smallest species grows

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Their survival tactics coupled with the fact that they are agressive carnivores and breed really, really fast and that they do not have any natural predators in the areas that they escape into makes them extremely dangerous to indiginous wildlife.
I've heard that bass fisherman has caught record size LMB as a results of the snakeheads breeding really, really fast. I know that a full grown adult w/teeth is no match but anything smaller is just prey.

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Just was wondering after snakeheads were banned in the US what happened to the ones in private collections? Were they somehow exempt from the law? Or did the feds come busting in doors, with flashbangs popping and guns blazing, hunting all the evil criminal masterminds who had the fish?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The federal laws state that all snakeheads are illegal to possess. Any in possession or caught are to be immediately killed. Maryland allows a few small tropical species. However, the federal ban prohibits trafficing any snakehead across state lines. Therefore, only those few species already in possession are allowed in the state. No new specimens or viable eggs may be shipped into the state.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store