Don't do Water Changes if you're tired or sleepy

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Just don't...

It seems so silly and intuitive, but I can't seem to learn. Your brain running on power saving mode doesn't help either.
But the more important lesson is to always keep an eye out and be alert, many issues pop-up all of a sudden with no warning and you need to act quick. Fortunately I was able to scoop the all of the water with a dustpan and no damages were done.

BTW what happened to the lessons learned section? This post would be more suited to be there

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I assume you over filled the tank?
Been there. I’d say it happens to everyone sooner or later.
This isn’t really Aquarium related but I did something similar but In reverse.
We have been getting a lot of rain and we have a pool.
I just turned the pump on to pump some water out and forgot about it.
Now the pools a foot low and I had to turn around and fill it back up.:headshake

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I did the same this week, too many things going in my brain at once, and little sleep, set the camera up, never dialed the camera into my phone, and at some point later my wife mentioned the words "water change", and I made a dash for the fish room. Too late, 2 hours later, major clean up completed. You'd think by this age I'd have this %@# figured out.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ugh, I’ve overflowed a tank twice. Pond overflowed a couple times. Overfilled the pool a few times. Over drained the pool once..... You’d think I would be ready to toss in the towel with all the water related chores. Lol

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I closed valves on an FX6 during water change. Filled up the tank and fired the filters on, but forgot to open valves on FX6. Because of the AC110 working properly, I did not notice it until next morning.
Fortunately no permanent damage was done, but a pisser.

Reactions: RD. and FESHMAN

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Did it once on wood floors. Caught it early. Now I just sit next to the tank and read so to avoid it again.

neontetraking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I used to have a 10 gallon tank and I over flowed it multiple times. I haven't made my 20 overflow...., Yet,

Reactions: RD. and Jexnell

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Did it once on wood floors. Caught it early. Now I just sit next to the tank and read so to avoid it again.
This ^ in spades!

I've lost track of my overflow disasters over the years; the most recent was in my basement fishroom when I left the fill water running for several hours!!!

Now, I never...ever...leave the room when the water is running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store