Don't do Water Changes if you're tired or sleepy

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
I don't use the python to fill my tanks, but I once drained a 29g on my floor! So stupid smh. I thought I had the drain end in the toilet but it flipped out and I drained half the tank if not more on my bathroom floor. It seeped into the vents and damaged the basement ceiling. Then not too long after, I had a bucket of water on the floor (don't know why) and it leaked in the same spot!

But I feel you, I was very stressed at the time, couldn't concentrate on anything and my friend actually advised I quit with the tanks. I didn't quit just downsized, but now i'm back and have my tanks so all good.

neontetraking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
haha

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because I've done this umpteen times, I started adding float valves to all water fill lines.
They are not perfect, but start to water hammer once the sumps (I always add new water to sumps, as opposed to main tanks)
are topped off.
Here's an example, it was purchased at a farm supply store for about $12, I bought 3.

As the sump fills, the red float closes the water flow off.

I've seen some lately being advertised on FB, that look less farm-fish.

Last edited:

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Had a few close calls but, fingers crossed ?, mo overflows yet. I think mainly due to, like another poster said, I tend to sit in the same room the water change is taking place in so can keep an eye on it. I have had sinks overflow though due to not draining fast enough. ?

Reactions: RD. and FESHMAN

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have twice now in the three years I have been back in the hobby. Both times I was in the room and wasn't a bad overflow. Now I don't allow myself to do anything when refilling once it hits half way refilled.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Because I've done this umpteen times, I started adding float valves to all water fill lines.
They are not perfect, but start to water hammer once the sumps (I always add new water to sumps, as opposed to main tanks)
are topped off.
Here's an example, it was purchased at a farm supply store for about $12, I bought 3.

As the sump fills, the red float closes the water flow off.

I've seen some lately being advertised on FB, that look less farm-fish.
That looks like a great idea! But given how lazy I am I'll probably flood another tank before trying something similar lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I have a "Patience or Panic" thread from last October...went racing in VA for my birthday, got back late and had the genius idea of doing a water change on the 225 to "stay on schedule" (it was saturday night). I was supposed to check the tank at 11pm. Fell asleep upstairs and woke up at 12:15 AM!!! Half the basement looked like a swimming pool...my Oscar had a blast swimming over the lip of the tank frame like a shark, his back and top fin out of the water.

Spent the next 6 hours cleaning up. Wood stand soaked and started to fail 6 days later. Fish went in the basement bathtub. Oscar gutted my Syno Rex overnight when everyone was crowded in the tub. Got totes. Waited 8 weeks for new aluminum/steel stand. Went out and got a heavy duty water vac (which I should have had from the beginning). Had totes with fish all over the basement, and the 225 on a dolly. Oscar got the bath tub to himself. Ran dryers and fans for a week because water had run under the baseboards to several rooms.

So yeah, no more water changes for me when sleepy! ?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have a "Patience or Panic" thread from last October...went racing in VA for my birthday, got back late and had the genius idea of doing a water change on the 225 to "stay on schedule" (it was saturday night). I was supposed to check the tank at 11pm. Fell asleep upstairs and woke up at 12:15 AM!!! Half the basement looked like a swimming pool...my Oscar had a blast swimming over the lip of the tank frame like a shark, his back and top fin out of the water.

Spent the next 6 hours cleaning up. Wood stand soaked and started to fail 6 days later. Fish went in the basement bathtub. Oscar gutted my Syno Rex overnight when everyone was crowded in the tub. Got totes. Waited 8 weeks for new aluminum/steel stand. Went out and got a heavy duty water vac (which I should have had from the beginning). Had totes with fish all over the basement, and the 225 on a dolly. Oscar got the bath tub to himself. Ran dryers and fans for a week because water had run under the baseboards to several rooms.

So yeah, no more water changes for me when sleepy! ?
I feel pretty lucky compared to this story.
The worst thing to happen to me was 150 reef tank bottom seam let go in the middle of the night.
I caught it fast only lost about 10 gallons of water in the floor.
I had to take all the animals and corals to the LFS for credit.
So while everything survived. It was lost to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store