Dorado.....Salminus Sp. I.D.????

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
recently acquired, he is about 12". was just told "dorado" from the guy i got him from - not sure when the gold should start coming in, if it is indeed S. Brasiliensis. the only other one i thought was maybe S. Hilarii, but i doubt it????

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
sorry to be off topic but that is a NICE looking occel....ever care to post in the cichla forum? ;)

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
to be honest.....im kinda lazy, so the whole taking pictures and putting them up is more than i feel like doing most of the time. haha. i think i put up pics of my african cichlid tank, and my big 18" Dat (in this tank) when i got him - thats been about it

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
orljdmh22;5145858; said:
to be honest.....im kinda lazy, so the whole taking pictures and putting them up is more than i feel like doing most of the time. haha. i think i put up pics of my african cichlid tank, and my big 18" Dat (in this tank) when i got him - thats been about it
where'd u get that occel from? Post more pics for everybody to enjoy....please:grinno:

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
i think i got him through Rapps, but i dont remember for sure. i'll consider digging up some more pics.

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
bump.....nobody???? ive just never seen one of these come up from small to large. so i dont know what to look for in color between the species as they grow.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
It looks like a Dorado to me but im no expert. I have read the Gold usually starts coming in around 18" so I would guess the Gold would be all over after 24"+ if thats when it starts to show. Sorry I couldnt be more help, DB Junkie should be able to answer some Q's for you as he enjoys this species :D

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Look like Dorado, except the black bar on the tail is missing. Could be stress from recent relocation. Nice pick up.

orljdmh22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A
jelly;5146333; said:
It's a Brasiliensis. Agreed the gold colouring wil come in much later.
thats kinda what im thinking. every once in a while you can catch a hint of gold on his belly. so far he is behaving ok, falring up and everything in the tank, but all the current seems to keep him swimming instead of getting bored and beating on everything.......for now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store