Dosing Metronidazole as a precautionary measure

ziyaadb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South Africa
Hello everyone a quick one...is it worthwhile to dose Metronizodole as a precautionary measure to newly introduced fish?
I have added 15 WC tropheus red rainbow moori and another keeper advised that i should dose the tank as a precautionary measure..however these fish have been at the store for a few months already and have all been eating well...My personal view is not to dose as they are all eating and active...all the fish were not kept together but in 2 seperate tanks...i have already had 1 fish die after 24 hours and there looks to be another 1 that is not as active as the rest...your thoughts?
Its a 300 Litre tank..120cm*50*50

Reactions: AR1

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would not do it. To me it is like humans taking antibiotics as a precaution...problem is the strains of harmful organisms develop a tolerance and the drug is less effective.

But...what about those 2 deaths? Any thready, clear feces?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would not do it. To me it is like humans taking antibiotics as a precaution...problem is the strains of harmful organisms develop a tolerance and the drug is less effective.

But...what about those 2 deaths? Any thready, clear feces?
Agree
Unless you know what you're dosing for.
I use it, and Praziquantel for Lernaea parasites, but only when I can obviously spot them on a wild caught fish.
IMG_4905 2.jpeg
On the tetra above, you can see 2 Lernaea on the dorsal.
IMG_5163.jpeg
If there were parasites on the Tropheus it should have shown up within the last couple months,.

Just curious is the one that died, and the other in your tank now?
Or was it in the dealers tank?
Or.... did the fish die in your tank, from some previous disease your fish had, and the same tank you want to add the Trophus to?

Last edited:

ziyaadb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South Africa
Fish were fine in dealers tank..i know because he held them for me for a month and had them before i got them..added them in on saturday and 1 fish died on sunday and another seems on its way out..no issues with faeces or anything else. Just not swimming like the rest

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just read your post in my sticky on bloat, best to keep the info in one thread.

What was the dealer feeding, and now you? Was dealers tank void of structure, such as rocks etc where territory could be claimed?
I am assuming that your tank contains rocks etc - yes?

Bloat - does not always equate to bloated fish. Bloat, is simply one symptom that is associated with the later stages of an infestation of S. vortens, which is quite common in many dealers tanks that keep and sell cichlids. It typically only surfaces when fish come under stress. And to answer your question - yes I would start treatment, via the feed if possible. I have kept Tropheus moorii Kambimbwa Red Rainbow, so I know how territorial they can be, even at young stages of domestic life.

My assumption at this point would be is that when you combined the 2 groups from the dealers tanks, to your tank, all hell broke loose during the establishment of hierarchy in their new environment, and that stress triggered a gastrointestinal issue in some of the fish.

Normally I would agree with the others, but not in this case. Failure to act swiftly could result in a complete loss.

You could start with a more fish friendly version as posted in the following link, or use both at the same time, up to you.

Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Good luck

Reactions: deeda and neutrino

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
With regards to Metronidazole.....

Dr. Edward J Noga suggests:

1. Bath

a. Add 19mg/gallon and treat for 3 hours. Repeat every other day for 3 treatments.

2. Prolonged Immersion

a. Add 25mg/gallon and treat once daily for a total of 3 times.
b. Add 95mg/gallon and treat every other day for three days.

3. via feed

25 mg/Kg of body weight/day for 5 to 10 days, or 100 mg/kg of body weight for 3 days. Retreat once if required.

Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM, is a highly respected professor of aquatic medicine and immunology, that has been published approx. 150 times in related papers/journals. His lab at NC State University specializes in the study of infectious diseases of finfish and shellfish. His book, Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment is the go to "health" book for every serious fish keeper and aquatic DVM.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store