Dovii acting strange

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
For the past 2 weeks my Dovii has been acting really strange. E.g. not eating as much, not being as aggressive towards other tank mates and latley he keeps sticking his head inside the log (see pics attached).

He has never been a glass banger as such, but he always showed his dominance in the tank as the 'tank boss'. I feel like he is being a sook and moping around.

He tried to spawn with a mida for a while without any success, as a result Isold the mida over a month ago. Could he be depressed with her going maybe?

20181107_200228.jpg 20181107_200218.jpg

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
Dovii are weird man I have one as well. I might not have a sure answer to your situation, but mine was getting aggressive so I put him alone in a 125 and he did nothing but hide and barely eat. I left him like that for a while untill I couldnt stand it anymore so I put him back with arowana and other fish and now hes back to his old self eating and never hiding. Night and day difference. Granted still aggressive but added some hiding spots. Everyone is A Ok in there for now. So my opinion on yours is he could be sad or just needs large dither/multiple fish around to be comfortable.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
I had a divider up to seprate him from the jags as he was beating up on my male jag quite a bit, but when i sold the mida he kept getting across to the other side with the jag pair and just hanging out. After the 5th time of him getting through the divider i took the divider out.

They were all cool and the male jag kept his distance, but now that ive noticed him acting strange moping around and not eating, the male jag is starting to flare up and be the agressor and putting it over the dovii.

So last night i put the divider back in and the dovii keeps hanging around the divider looking through at the jags like he wants to hang out again.

I also noticed my dovii has a bit of redness on the inside of his mouth and thinking maybe this is the reason for him not fighting back and not being as aggressive. Any suggestions on what this could be?

20181107_204011.jpg 20181107_203959.jpg

kcrokin19

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2016
Wheeling, IL
Could it be that he has a slight bacterial infection in his mouth, maybe he is feeling a bit under the weather. Kinda hard to see what is going on inside his mouth (i know it is a tough pic to take).

Andy woods cichlids uk

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
You need another tank. Dovii and jags are never going to get on. It will only get worse as they grow putting them in a stressful environment.

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
Could it be that he has a slight bacterial infection in his mouth, maybe he is feeling a bit under the weather. Kinda hard to see what is going on inside his mouth (i know it is a tough pic to take).
Yeah i feel he has a bit of an infection. He normally loves a good scrap and would never let the jag put it over him like that. You can tell he is avoiding to lock lips too.

Ill keep the divider up for now and get some rock salt on my way home to treat his mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store