Dovii morphs and strands by region!

presleyk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Northport AL.
I have been very interested in the dovii cichlid ever since my LFS guy should me IKE! I finally gave in and got one he has room for improvement and is doing some healing up, but he has alot of potential. I was wondering how many different color variety are there by region, and color morphs that people know about. I have heard about and seen gold morphs and I kind of know the differnece between the Costa Rican and Nicaragua strands. Give me info and feedback thanks MFK!​

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I only know of 2 colors the gold/yellow and the blue.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Yeah there really arent any morphs. ive heard of red dovii and seen only one pic!! so yeah i still dont believe the hype on the red. but currently in the hobby that i know of are Honduran, Nicaruaguan, and Costa Rican. i dont know wether the Honduran were riverine or lake fish but the Nics are the blue varient and are lake fish. Costa Rica has Rio Higeron (blue), Rio Heridia ( Gold/Blue), Lake Arenal (Blue). So far i love all the Dovii:) but my personal favorite are the Arenal Males and Rio Heridia females. Mostly due to color on both and the larger build on the Arenal. the riverine (Higeron and Heridia) Dovii are more streamlined and dont seem to get as large as Lake Dovii (Nic and Arenal).

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
^^ more experience here than any I've crossed. Definitely someone that you'd want to listen to. Just my personal exp IMO. but way better than most..........just saying..........lol

presleyk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Northport AL.
I can dig it, I figured that red dovii pic was reaching! And thanks for breaking it down because I want to breed mine one day, and I'm going to be pretty picky about the female, and you just steered me in a new direction. Hay Jason can you post pics of these different dovii if you don't mind schooling us less experienced up?

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
There is a photo of a wild leucistic dovii that Mo got from Ron Coleman.

And the infamous "red dovii". Also Aquamojo's photo (obviously). You can see the remainder of some dark pigment in the unpaired fins and on the mouth, pretty obvious to me that it has lost most of its melanin (regardless of the color of the slide being off).

Here's the link to more dovii morph info than you can shake a stick at. Guapote2 is our own MelO. http://forums.****************/lofiversion/index.php/t127019.html You'll have to edit the url, ask MFK childishly blocks w a t e r w o l v e s . c o m

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
I can dig it, I figured that red dovii pic was reaching! And thanks for breaking it down because I want to breed mine one day, and I'm going to be pretty picky about the female, and you just steered me in a new direction. Hay Jason can you post pics of these different dovii if you don't mind schooling us less experienced up?

Ok ill have to dig some pics up but ill get them up. and Thanks Modest man for the pics of the only morphs i know of.. too bad there wasnt more of those fish around.

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
Im sure Jason will more than oblige, but maybe you could use the search here on MFk to find all the pics and info you need...as there are literally hundreds of threads properly labeled of each variant.

You can do so by clicking the "Advanced Search" link (under the search bar) on the top right of any page in the forum. Once on the "Advanced Search" page, type a keyword such as "Nicaraguan Dovii" or "Costa Rican Dovii" w/o the quotes...then in the drop menu next to where you typed in the keyword, select "Search Titles Only" and that will give you every thread that has whatever keyword you typed in in the title. You should be able to find anything you want that way.

Now you wont be less-experienced on one of the many functions of the MFK forum. ;)

presleyk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Northport AL.
Man thank you I am just now figuring all this stuff out as you can see. **** I just finally posted pic's yesterday and joined a few groups. I do a lot of research and searching online but I like to get the skinny from people themselves who may know a bit more about certain fish. And thanks for the advance search info I had gave up on getting the info I was looking for, so I def like the step by step guide! :headbang2

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
No problem man, glad to be of help. The forum was just upgraded recently and a lot of regulars dont know that the search can now yield way better searches than previously. Have Fun!!

Or, if you wanted, you can click on jasons screen name (freshwaterpredators) and then click "view threads" and see all the threads he has created, or likewise to any other members screen name.

TONS of more personalized info that way too!!:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store