Dovii pairing

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Hi, i'm only been in the fish hobby less than 4 yrs and probably about 2 1/2 years now raising large cichlids such as umbee, dovii. buttikoferi, red devil, midas, isletas and some gold barred midas. So i have multiple tanks. I'm not an expert on this but have successfully bred multiple pairs of umbees and doviis. I currently own 3 pairs of doviis with males around 13' - 17'. Two pairs are in the 20 gal long and the larger pair are in the 46 bow front tank. All three pairs are breeding non stop. Female likes to spawn in the terracota pot (2) that i picked up at Walmart and thriftstore. I've arrange some flat pieces of slate rocks on top of some thick ones for hiding spots for female as sometimes males get aggressive. Pick up the slate rocks at our local plant nursery for 10 cents/pound. Put a divider such as egg shell crate when starting for pairing. They will let you know when they are ready. My two pairs of umbees are in the 30 gal and 56 gal column. Males are around 11" and 18'. Those guys brred like rabbit as well. They spawn on top of some large pieces of flat slate rocks that i put on top of some thick pieces. I have two terracota pots on each end of the tanks where they put the frys when they hatch. I also have some large pieces of drift wood for the female to hide just in case. I hope that this helps and you're welcome to reach out to me for question. God Bless.
You have a 18 inch umbee in a 56 gal and a 17 inch dovii in a 46 gal tank? Both raised to that size in 2.5 years.

Arbeeh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2017
Good. Keep up the good work. Big surprise this morning as the clutch of dovii eggs in the pot that i have separarted few days ago hatched this morning. Now have 3 batches of small dovii fries again and my pair of young jags (4" - 5') have some eggs in the pot this morning. I will have to separate those too as their siblings are in the same tank. Never expected that one. Happy snow day today.

Reactions: DontTRYmyDOVII

Arbeeh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2017
No Dan, i bought those guys as adult fish and placed them in those tanks by themselves with no other fish to bother them or them to bother other fish. No stress i guess and that is why they have been productive in breeding. they've grown a few inches since i got them. Some hobbyist have 300 to 600 or even a 1000 gal with multiple fish in the same tank so when they spawn there is that threat that someone will eat their young or increase aggression for the parents. It's just my personal preference as i don't have much room for such large tanks.

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
No Dan, i bought those guys as adult fish and placed them in those tanks by themselves with no other fish to bother them or them to bother other fish. No stress i guess and that is why they have been productive in breeding. they've grown a few inches since i got them. Some hobbyist have 300 to 600 or even a 1000 gal with multiple fish in the same tank so when they spawn there is that threat that someone will eat their young or increase aggression for the parents. It's just my personal preference as i don't have much room for such large tanks.
LURKER!!!!!!

Andy woods cichlids uk

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
You have a 18 inch umbee in a 56 gal and a 17 inch dovii in a 46 gal tank? Both raised to that size in 2.5 years.
17inch and 18 inch fish kept in 40 and 50 gallon tanks. Hope this is a typing error, or a joke.
I for one aren't laughing, infact I feel sick in my stomach.

Reactions: dan518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store