dovii tankmates???????????

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
Pacus might work as well. If the tanks big enough. For cichlids Red devils, midas, o jags should hold their own.

Reactions: Uncut currency

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
Mudfrog;2237247; said:
My Dovii went after my bichirs as well.
did your bichirs have anywhere to hide??? or was it a barebottom empty tank???

Mine had a nice ledge to lay under so the Trimac couldn't get him. The Trimac never tried to really, if the bichir came out to eat the Trimac would kinda swim over slowly wondering what this guys doing. Then the bichir would simply take his food with him under his log. I thikn if you leave them in the wide open then yes the Dovii will have nothing better to do then chase this snake looking thing around all day LOL

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Big Arowana Fan;2237329; said:
Pacus might work as well. If the tanks big enough. For cichlids Red devils, midas, o jags should hold their own.

I don't know about Jags. My Dovii seems to be the most accepting of tankmates of any I've seen but he really hates my Jags. I tried two different Jags with him and they're tough, but he owned them without any problem. On the other hand, I have two Senegals that swim in his face and he ignores them. He occasionally chases the Pike but it can get away because I have several safehavens built from large chunks of driftwood. He doesn't like any cichlids eating at the surface at the same time he does or all h*ll breaks loose. Thank goodness all the cichlids in with him eat at the bottom.

bennet

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
australia
hey all,well i went out today and bought a normal pleco about a foot long.(30cms)so far dovii has been rather pissed bout it with full rams,tail slaps and biting but he hasnt realy hurt pleco yet,so i will see how they go 2gether for a while.100 aussie dollars for my pleco.pretty good as i saw one 2day at another lfs half this ones size for 165dollars.oh well lucky me.thanks for all input guys.post pics soon as i can.

CubanB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
hey mate where bouts in aus are ya??

there aren't alot of fish that will be ok with him especially because he's been a solo fish for a while. dovii are very territorial and i've heard that their territory can even exceed their tank. IMO keep him solo :)

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Chago09;2237333; said:
did your bichirs have anywhere to hide??? or was it a barebottom empty tank???

Mine had a nice ledge to lay under so the Trimac couldn't get him. The Trimac never tried to really, if the bichir came out to eat the Trimac would kinda swim over slowly wondering what this guys doing. Then the bichir would simply take his food with him under his log. I thikn if you leave them in the wide open then yes the Dovii will have nothing better to do then chase this snake looking thing around all day LOL
Rocks, Driftwood, Plants, etc..

I mean any fish can hide from a Dovii, but thats not exactly saying they will work with a Dovii because they hide from him 90% of the time. When I consider a tankmate I make sure that both fish will coexist like the other was not there, not if they will survive in the tank.

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
I hope that the pleco will wok. Hows the pleco and dovii doing now??

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
CubanB;2239976; said:
hey mate where bouts in aus are ya??

there aren't alot of fish that will be ok with him especially because he's been a solo fish for a while. dovii are very territorial and i've heard that their territory can even exceed their tank. IMO keep him solo :)
Yes, you're probably right.
The thing about my Dovii is it was raised with tankmates his whole life and is used to them.

CubanB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
yeah BALTON777 i reckon thats the only way dovii can have tankmates. and i'm sure he'd still be king of the tank!!!

IMO they're better as solo fish or a maybe a pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store