Dovii

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Don't go by the youtube videos. They could have not fed the fish for days or a week before they recorded the video.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If he has only been in the tank a week, that is probably the reason right there. Without answering the other questions we asked it will be hard to give any good advice.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Also even at 8-10 inches he is still a juvenile, these fish his 30+ inches so be patient. New tank, probably not cycled all the way, juvenile fish, all these things add up

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Also even at 8-10 inches he is still a juvenile, these fish his 30+ inches so be patient. New tank, probably not cycled all the way, juvenile fish, all these things add up
Really, 30+"??? Seen one?

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Really, 30+"??? Seen one?
Never in an aquarium, but I’ve seen fishing pictures that easily could be 30+ more common aquarium size is closer to 25.

However my point still stands, at 8-10 inches this fish was still a juvenile, no more then half its final size.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Never in an aquarium, but I’ve seen fishing pictures that easily could be 30+ more common aquarium size is closer to 25.

However my point still stands, at 8-10 inches this fish was still a juvenile, no more then half its final size.
Pictures without tape measure on can be very deceiving. IIRC, years back the biggest and most popular dovii in a humongous tank was not even 24" when put against the tape measure. If I have time I can try look for it...

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017

You’re saying almost 3 feet? I find that hard to believe.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
You’re saying almost 3 feet? I find that hard to believe.

I feel you guys are missing the point of my post, yes I absolutely overstated the maximum size of the fish. Do I believe 30 + inch Dovii exist in the wild? Yes absolutely, being some one that has actually fished Costa Rica, Panama, and various other parts of central and South America. I wouldn’t blink an eye at the idea of a 30+ inch Dovii.

However, I will say I have never actually seen one, I was simply overstating the size to put more focus on the fact that the fish in the OP was juvenile and still no where near full grown. And easily will outgrow the shy stage.

I wasn’t looking for a debate on the size potential of Dovii, as a fishermen, and photographer I’m well aware of forced perspective, and how deceiving pictures without tape measure’s can be. I believe the standard believed maxim size of Dovii is actually 28 inches, please pardon my exaggeration of a few inches to put emphasis on my point. Clearly I missed the mark. The thread is from December, I would hope in almost two months the fish has now started eating.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
Dovii grow slowly after the first year. Be patient. Try a wide variety of food. I like warmer temps.

Reactions: bennet
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store