Dragon puffer

kauaiboy808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
Planning on getting a dragon puffer just curious to if anyone was able to house these with other fishes or is it not recommended?

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Definitely not recommended, as Palembangnesis are piscivores by nature and ambush hunters, so chances are any tankmates will end up as a snack eventually...

With that being said, how big is the tank coz you maybe able to keep them with their own kind or in certain cases T.Suvatti...

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Definitely not recommended, as Palembangnesis are piscivores by nature and ambush hunters, so chances are any tankmates will end up as a snack eventually...

With that being said, how big is the tank coz you maybe able to keep them with their own kind or in certain cases T.Suvatti...
Yeah I've heard dragon puffers are extremely aggressive eaters. Granted there's only 1 fish I can think of possibly working with one as long as it's a breeding pair. I've seen ppl keep convicts in with piranha and have them both coexist just fine as long as the convicts have an area where they can hide. Honeslty thought of trying it myself at some point as a sort of renewable food source for the larger fish. As long as there's atleast a male and female convict they should be able to keep there numbers up while only losing their largest members. Granted if they got nowhere to hide they are as good as dead.
It's an idea atleast but if worst comes to worst ya just end up with a $4-8 snack for the puffer.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Its still tricky, as these puffers lay there looking like rocks 99% of the time and its when an un-suspecting fish swims past that said fish can end up as quick snack for a hungry puffer...

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Its still tricky, as these puffers lay there looking like rocks 99% of the time and its when an un-suspecting fish swims past that said fish can end up as quick snack for a hungry puffer...
O yeah I've seen fugu puffers do the same at my lfs, they'd just bury themselves under the sand. Honestly a really entertaining fish to feed tho. Far more brutal then piranha are.

kauaiboy808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2020

Have a empty 75 gal for it for now

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
In a 75 i would say you could probably add another 1-2 if you give them plenty of hiding spots to choose from to cut down on potential aggression

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I have a group of 6 who have coexisted together for a long time now. I also kept 2 in a community in the past with no issues (I did not know how aggressive puffers can be at the time..pre-internet).
I’m toying with moving the 6 into a community on a trial basis. I’m not worried about aggression, but I am concerned they may hog all the food and overtax the filters. They are really good eaters and faster than some of the other fish I want to house them with. At some point I’ll give it a try and report back. These are by far the most docile large freshwater puffer species I have kept.

kauaiboy808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
Yeah I've heard dragon puffers are extremely aggressive eaters. Granted there's only 1 fish I can think of possibly working with one as long as it's a breeding pair. I've seen ppl keep convicts in with piranha and have them both coexist just fine as long as the convicts have an area where they can hide. Honeslty thought of trying it myself at some point as a sort of renewable food source for the larger fish. As long as there's atleast a male and female convict they should be able to keep there numbers up while only losing their largest members. Granted if they got nowhere to hide they are as good as dead.
It's an idea atleast but if worst comes to worst ya just end up with a $4-8 snack for the puffer.
[/QUOTE

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store