Dragon Setup - Dragon Goby & Ornate Bichir

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Hi guys, I am thinking about getting a Dragon Goby and an Ornate Bichir to do a Water / Asian Dragon type setup.

Are they compatible?

And does Dragon Goby need brackish water?

Online info states max size of Dragon Goby to be just 1ft or so but I have seen youtube videos of specimen much bigger than that. What is their actual max size?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Hi guys, I am thinking about getting a Dragon Goby and an Ornate Bichir to do a Water / Asian Dragon type setup.

Are they compatible?

And does Dragon Goby need brackish water?

Online info states max size of Dragon Goby to be just 1ft or so but I have seen youtube videos of specimen much bigger than that. What is their actual max size?
Dragon gobies do need low to mid level brackish water. Somewhere between 1.005-1.015, but probably closer to 1.015 as they mature. I'm not sure if the bichir could handle that, but I have very little knowledge on them.

The dragon gobies also get much larger than 12". They easily grow to 24" or more. They also grow much faster than you'd think, considering they are filter feeders. Back when I first started out, and didn't really know any better, I kept two dragon gobies in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank. I kept up with good water changes and they still grew to about a foot within nine months to a year.

You might just try two dragon gobies instead of the goby and bichir. You could also mix some archers or scats, or son's other brackish water fish with them. Scats are always active and make for a very active tank. They might pick on the gobies though, so it might not work that well long term.

Reactions: robham777

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis but will also add that the Ornate Bichir is one of the largest and aggressive upper Jaw specie of Polypterus and may be aggressive towards the Dragon Goby.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
dragon gobies are pretty cool fish wish someone had pics of a 24" monster
Mine was only about 18" when it died, but a very cool fish indead.
(these are the best pics I had)

Filter feeder that push their weight around. Better in brackish, long term. THEY HIDE! They also 'tail stand' on their tail and poise up on the glass.

20140922_202102.jpg 20140922_202053.jpg 20141030_203534.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
How about rope fish instead of the goby? They look just as cool, but easier to take car of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store