Drift wood with holes?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Hi,
I bought this 2.5ft piece of driftwood today, and was wondering how the holes were created. I'd think a machine, but they are so inconsistently sized that I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Reactions: tlindsey

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
As others have stated it’s cholla “wood”

basically it’s cactus bones ?

I don’t believe they last too long in the aquarium and can breakdown pretty fast, also depends what you keep in the tank with it. Lots of shrimp owners like this as it provides a place for the shrimp to graze.

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
I’ve never kept Cholla in an aquarium, but it makes a great addition for a natural desert terrarium. I use to have a huge centerpiece in a 75 gal for bearded dragon.

Reactions: tlindsey

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
I’ve never kept Cholla in an aquarium, but it makes a great addition for a natural desert terrarium. I use to have a huge centerpiece in a 75 gal for bearded dragon.
Damn, the LFS sold it as aquarium safe. If it degrades quickly, that's a waste of $40.

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Damn, the LFS sold it as aquarium safe. If it degrades quickly, that's a waste of $40.
I think it is aquarium safe. Only problem is it breaks down faster then most aquarium driftwood. I agree for $40 I would have bought another type of wood for my tank.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
It is definitely aquarium safe!

I’m not sure how quickly it degrades, maybe someone else can chime in on this aspect…maybe the information ive read means it breaks down in a year or two? Maybe a month or two lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store