Driftwood for Plecos

hi im Irish

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2015
Dont worry about it.

Having driftwood in a pleco tank will do no harm, it may stain the water brown, and lower the pH a little, but that does no harm to a pleco.

I dont bother with plants in my pleco tanks, you need to set up the lights and water conditions to grow plants properly. And then big plecos usually bulldoze the plants anyway. So I just decorate the tanks with some rocks, pipes and driftwood and keep the light level low. Any brown algae that grows gets eaten by the plecos anyway. The lower light level suits the plecos, they are less shy, and doesn't seem to upset the other fish.

Ian
sorry i have a question if i boil a small piece of timber would that do as driftwood or do i have to get a certain driftwood and if so where can i find? i have a orange spot pleco i think(it said it on the receit and on the label of one of the tanks that i got it from), its still tiny and i cant find any spots on him to be honest though please help!!!!!

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
sorry i have a question if i boil a small piece of timber would that do as driftwood or do i have to get a certain driftwood and if so where can i find? i have a orange spot pleco i think(it said it on the receit and on the label of one of the tanks that i got it from), its still tiny and i cant find any spots on him to be honest though please help!!!!!
It's best to use fish store driftwood...stuff you pick up in your backyard will most likely rot in your tank and foul it up(thus killing your fish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store