Drill holes before or after assembly?

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
I am putting together the plywood piece for my 300 gallon tank today. I am going to use polyester resin to seal it, I was wondering if I should drill the holes for the overflow before i put the resin on or after...

personally im thinking after but Im a beginner...
anyone?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
mb_barton;768972; said:
I am putting together the plywood piece for my 300 gallon tank today. I am going to use polyester resin to seal it, I was wondering if I should drill the holes for the overflow before i put the resin on or after...

personally im thinking after but Im a beginner...
anyone?

after...........then seal the hole.........the resin will pour out the holes otherwise...

ime........ set the tank on a side.....tape the edge,,,pour resin.....repeat each side then the bottom....takes a while but nice results

if you mix a little resin seal all the edges first the tape will stick much better after the resin kicks................

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
Ok thanks man, thats what i was thinking myself. I just posted another thread about whether I should put in the glass before the resin or after. On this one im thinking before.

what do yall think?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
mb_barton;769038; said:
Ok thanks man, thats what i was thinking myself. I just posted another thread about whether I should put in the glass before the resin or after. On this one im thinking before.

what do yall think?
i built a ply wood tank... polyester resin inside

1) i built the box
2) made a picture frame type cutout for the glass
3) 'resined' the edges
4) poured all sides one at a time taping the open edges
5) mounted glass with adhesive

worked for me circa 1966 ( were you alive then ?:ROFL: )

good luck

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
johnptc;769161; said:
i built a ply wood tank... polyester resin inside

1) i built the box
2) made a picture frame type cutout for the glass
3) 'resined' the edges
4) poured all sides one at a time taping the open edges
5) mounted glass with adhesive

worked for me circa 1966 ( were you alive then ?:ROFL: )

good luck
damn how old r u :p

Im thinking I should put the glass in first though n then just ruff up the edges of the glass so the resin can bind to the glass aswell...

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
mb_barton;769361; said:
damn how old r u :p

Im thinking I should put the glass in first though n then just ruff up the edges of the glass so the resin can bind to the glass aswell...
imo i would ather trust an adhesive/sealant because it will give more than the resin........hence i would hope it to be more leak proof............

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
johnptc;769451; said:
imo i would ather trust an adhesive/sealant because it will give more than the resin........hence i would hope it to be more leak proof............
ofcourse i would use the adhesive in the first place to put it in. im just thinking it would look neater to put the window in first and then the resin. I would use silicone to put the window in place...

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
mb_barton;769532; said:
ofcourse i would use the adhesive in the first place to put it in. im just thinking it would look neater to put the window in first and then the resin. I would use silicone to put the window in place...
i dont think you can put silicone on bare wood for a water proof seal.........??

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
johnptc;769882; said:
i dont think you can put silicone on bare wood for a water proof seal.........??
no its not bare wood, theres a layer of sumthin else on it. forget what but at the shop they said u can do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store