Drill my tank or PVC overflow???

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
I have a 100 gallon Acrylic fish tank. I've never drilled a tank and have NO idea what I would be doing, but it seems easier and cleaner to drill then to have the PVC overflow in the tank.

Can anyone give me some advice on drilling my tank and if that would be the best thing to do.

Will a hole compromise the strength of the tank?
Where do I drill the hole?
What do I use to cap it and guide the water to the sump?
A hole would mean I would not need a syphone system, correct?..just gravity fed?

Any info would help.

Thanks

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
For acrylic, all you need is a regular hole saw that is used for wood. It has a center drill bit that keeps it centered so you do not need a jig. You can get them at any store that sells tools. Harbor Freight has them on sale right now for three dollars for an entire kit that has six sizes.

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
So where do I drill the hole? This is what I am thinking.

My tank dimensions are 60" by 20" by 20"

How big of a hole do I need?

Is that the correct location?

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
The size of the hole would depend on the size of the bulkhead you need to run your plumbing. just go to your LFS and find out what size of return you are going to use then find the appropreate bulkhead for that and then you will have the hole size you need. You could go with 1" return lines which would cover you for sure but I am pretty sure you could go with 3/4" returns.

spoofsjsc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Marikina, Philippines
That hole looks ok. you can also put another hole on the left side if you want. 2 x 1.5 " holes would do. make sure you cover it with some screen to keep your fishes from falling into them. Good Luck! :)

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Great. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else that can help we be nice.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Since it is acrylic, you can plumb through the bottom. Just keep in mind that you will need stand pipes to prevent the water from draining out during a power failure. You can also drill through the back near the surface. You will need to use two 90's to raise the water level if you like it at the very top of the tank.

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
CHOMPERS;777947; said:
Since it is acrylic, you can plumb through the bottom. Just keep in mind that you will need stand pipes to prevent the water from draining out during a power failure. You can also drill through the back near the surface. You will need to use two 90's to raise the water level if you like it at the very top of the tank.
What is "two 90's"? Yeah that was another thought I had is how to keep the water level as high as possible. Can you elaborate a little.

Thanks

spoofsjsc;778695; said:
Welcome! give us some feedback once it's done.
Yeah I will for sure. I may opt to build the PVC overflow instead. I'm not sure yet.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
A 90 is a right angle fitting. By using two in plumbed together in the same direction, you can rotate it about the axis of the bulkhead to raise or lower the water level in the tank. Clear as mud, right? This is going to need some pictures. I'll take some and post them tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store