Drip setup?

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Getting tired of the old water changes and thinking about adding onto my solo drip system with a couple more tanks. Have some 75G's right next door to the 300G. Does anyone have any thoughts on dripping directly into the top of the tank and pulling water from the top as well by drilling a hole midway down and then just 'L'ing it up to the top of the tank likely on the opposite side of the drip with no sump or is there a better way to do it? I don't want to jack around with adding a group or solo sumps for each, but I'm willing to listen to any ideas. Thanks.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I drip… and have dripped just about every way possible on a multitude of tanks 20-1700gal with all kinds of different filtration. Very plausible to drip into the top of the tank and also have your drip drain from the tank. I do just that for tanks with no sump. Ive done so with canister filters, hob’s and even sponge filters. Like you mention, its advantageous to drip in one end of the tank and overflow from the other. You just set your proposed water level with your drip drain and it stays constant there. No need to go mid way down either. You do have some play by going down a bit further than water level and use an elbow to set whatever water height u wish just like u would draining from a sump. Ive only ever dripped directly into my tanks even the ones with sumps. IMO, once u drip… ull never go back, sump or not lol… theres always a way. U’ll be pleasantly surprised how well the drip works even with hob’s or sponge filters.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
55g custom drip on left and drain on right. I used a piece of airline pipe to form the “j” drip tube. F007D5BE-58C5-4B5A-B855-A26D325B8B7F.jpegB8D3AFAA-3AA7-456D-9660-E3E9320D785A.jpeg

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
hi wednesday13 wednesday13 , I'm trying to set up a dripping system so am digging up some old thread. could you share your full dripping design, i.e. where the inlet goes and how does the excess water go to drain? and did you hire a plumber? I'm having a hard time visualizing dripping into the main tank without overflooding the sump.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I do a continuous drip into the main tank, having an overflow high up in he settlement chamber.

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Wonder if you could overflow out of the hob itself? Bulkhead into a 90 from the side or bottom of the hob... Anyone ever done such a thing? My 75G aqueon petco tanks are all tempered so this seems like it could be an option.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Wonder if you could overflow out of the hob itself? Bulkhead into a 90 from the side or bottom of the hob... Anyone ever done such a thing? My 75G aqueon petco tanks are all tempered so this seems like it could be an option.
you cant overflow out of the hob itself for the drips drainage. the HOB will have a consistent level until your tanks level drops enough to strain the pump on the HOB. you need to have your drain in the tank but you can drip INTO the HOB.

Reactions: Denon

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
hi wednesday13 wednesday13 , I'm trying to set up a dripping system so am digging up some old thread. could you share your full dripping design, i.e. where the inlet goes and how does the excess water go to drain? and did you hire a plumber? I'm having a hard time visualizing dripping into the main tank without overflooding the sump.
You will need to have the overflow in the sump. It also needs to be in sump chamber with the return pump because that is where the variation occurs due to evaporation and refilling. If the sump design allows variation in other chambers, then they will be fine too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store