Drip system and canisters?

Bobnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Humboldt
I have a setup much like the one pictured above, two carbon filters, a pressure regulator (15psi), a needle valve, and then the tank.
Overflow goes down the sink, but will be sent to the gf's garden later this weekend.

Carbon filters will filter out chloramines if the water stays in contact with the carbon long enough.
If you were to use two (or three, they're cheap after all) block type carbon filters you should be in good shape chloramine wise.
I did a ton of reading on this site and many others when i was setting my system up (at the time i didn't know whether i had chlorine or chloramine), and i found a few different people using carbon for chloramines with no issues after a few months of use.

As to the ammonia you will also have a constant nitrate export down the drain.
Typicly constant drip water changing setups stabilize at a nitrate reading after a month or so, and then never move from that reading.
If you have higher nitrates then you like, simply turn the water flow up and watch 'em go away.
The ammonia going in will result in a higher static reading then just the fish would, but the ammount of ammonia you'd be putting in (less then 1ppm) after oxidation is still less then 10ppm.

You could also, if you felt like making sure the fish never saw ammonia, cycle an inline filter (hook it to a powerhead for a while) and then place that between the chloramine filter and the tank.
By the time the water got to the tank it'd be nitrates rather then ammonia.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Bobnova;892920; said:
I have a setup much like the one pictured above, two carbon filters, a pressure regulator (15psi), a needle valve, and then the tank.
Overflow goes down the sink, but will be sent to the gf's garden later this weekend.

Carbon filters will filter out chloramines if the water stays in contact with the carbon long enough.
If you were to use two (or three, they're cheap after all) block type carbon filters you should be in good shape chloramine wise.
I did a ton of reading on this site and many others when i was setting my system up (at the time i didn't know whether i had chlorine or chloramine), and i found a few different people using carbon for chloramines with no issues after a few months of use.

As to the ammonia you will also have a constant nitrate export down the drain.
Typicly constant drip water changing setups stabilize at a nitrate reading after a month or so, and then never move from that reading.
If you have higher nitrates then you like, simply turn the water flow up and watch 'em go away.
The ammonia going in will result in a higher static reading then just the fish would, but the ammount of ammonia you'd be putting in (less then 1ppm) after oxidation is still less then 10ppm.

You could also, if you felt like making sure the fish never saw ammonia, cycle an inline filter (hook it to a powerhead for a while) and then place that between the chloramine filter and the tank.
By the time the water got to the tank it'd be nitrates rather then ammonia.
I agree with everything except for this -

"Carbon filters will filter out chloramines if the water stays in contact with the carbon long enough."

Where did you find this information?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just wondering where you heard this because I have talked to major filter manufacturer and they didn't tell me this when we were talking about being able to filter out chloramines.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
repair;893019; said:
I agree with everything except for this -

"Carbon filters will filter out chloramines if the water stays in contact with the carbon long enough."

Where did you find this information?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just wondering where you heard this because I have talked to major filter manufacturer and they didn't tell me this when we were talking about being able to filter out chloramines.
Here is what I got in my 2 filters from thefilterguys.biz. Both of my canisters are filled with this stuff:

8.00 - PREMIUM GRADE CATALYTIC GRANULAR ACTIVATED CARBON
HAS A HIGH DEGREE OF CATALYTIC REDOX ACTIVITY SPECIFICALLY PREPARED FOR USE IN MEDICAL APPLICATIONS FOR CHLORAMINE REMOVAL.
THIS CARBON HAS RECEIVED A SPECIAL ACID BATH, AND IS pH BUFFERED, AND RINSED WITH SANITIZED WATER, AND IS VERY CLEAN.
USE WITH REFILLABLE CARTRIDGE FOR 10" HOUSING. CARTRIDGE SOLD SEPARATE.

Craig

Bobnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Humboldt
I got it from another fish forum, or possibly the ancient archives of this one, from a dude who has chloramines and set up a system like that one.

He mentioned that a much slower flow rate was required compared to filtering out chlorine, but i don't remember what the numbers were.

I can't really prove it beyond that, though craigthor's post helps :D

(I'd question me too, given that i'm going against conventional wisdom and have seven posts :p Don't worry, i'm not offended or anything)

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
Finally got everything done almost. Drain is plumbed to my basement, drip line in is setup and running 2 GPH waiting for my extra canisters and filter wrench to show up to finish the water purification setup. Now I might be switching fish to Tangs... If I can convince the wife. :(

Craig

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store