Drip system and canisters?

BigBama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
Pinson , Alabama
www.youtube.com
I was thinking about an automatic fish feeder modified to hold declorinator to depense regulary as the fresh water drips into the tank. Any thoughts on that?
When I do a w/c on my 55 I use a water hose attached to the sink to refill it and just pour the declorinator in. Just my 2 cents worth.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
I just ordered a Chloramine filter from thefilterguys.biz so I won't need to add dechlorinator.
Craig

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
craigthor;890222; said:
I just ordered a Chloramine filter from thefilterguys.biz so I won't need to add dechlorinator.
Craig
you might have to drip a bit more than normal because you'll be introducing ammonia in as the end result of the chloramine filter. I don't know how much, but it's just something to keep in mind.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
rallysman;890225; said:
you might have to drip a bit more than normal because you'll be introducing ammonia in as the end result of the chloramine filter. I don't know how much, but it's just something to keep in mind.
Thanks, I also have some 2 gph emitters if I need them. I will keep an eye on this thanks.

Craig

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
Well I will take some pics later but right now I'm as follows:

Faucet->25 psi regulator->5 Micron Filter->Icemaker Carbon Filter->2 Stage Carbon Filter from filterguyz.biz->2 GPH Emitter

I do have the 2 Stage Chloramine Filter but am reluctant to use them as I'm not sure how much I need to drip to disperse the Ammonia it will make. So far no odd reactions after 2 days with just carbon filters though.

Craig

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I hope all goes well.
Keep us updated.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
Here are a few pictures to glance at mostly of the water in as I still have the overflow plumbed to a piece of tubing running out my livingroom window till next weekend when I have time to plumb it to my basement. I'm thinking of hooking up the Chloramine filters then putting a RO system after this to remove the Ammonia from the system as that is what is recommended. Overflow is a CPR 50/ 300 GPH and is working great thus far.

Craig

P5300003.JPG

P5300004.JPG

P5300005.JPG

P5300006.JPG

P5300007.JPG

P5300008.JPG

P5300009.JPG

P5300010.JPG

P5300011.JPG

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
NICE!! I'll be looking forward to future posts.

My favorite part is the clothes pin:D

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
rallysman;891799; said:
My favorite part is the clothes pin:D
I need to get me a plastic one as the wood ones aren't good at staying dry:ROFL:

mdstark

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Indianapolis
Nice setup. I actually just ordered the same filter from thefilterguys. I also have to deal with chloramines, and I plan on using almost the exact setup you have, minus the icemaker carbon filter. Why did you add this to your filter? I did a fair amount of research on filtering chloramines prior to my purchase, and I think the ammonia I add to the tank will be so small that it will be a non-issue.

There are a couple discus breeders I found that filter chloramine the same way you did and I am planning, and a couple of them say the ammonia level is unmeasurable on their test kits once the water passes through the chloramine filter. Once I get my drip system setup, I am going to measure the ammonia level straight from the drip system and will adjust if necessary. I don't think the ammonia is going to be an issue from what I have read and what other people that use similar setups have said.

I also don't think dripping the water w/ ammonia is going to result in any higher nitrate readings than if I were to drip prime as well. Prime will bind the ammonia into a harmless compound until this compound can be consumed by the biofilter. This is a bit of an assumption, but won't the prime-bound ammonia compound, once consumed by the bio-filter, result in the same amount of nitrate production as a similar quantity of ammonia dripped into the tank? I don't see how it would be different. If that is the case, I don't think dripping prime offers any advantages over filtering the chloramines through a filter and dripping the water with a small amount of ammonia straight into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store