Drip sytem

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I want to research a drip sytem for a 400 gallon tank i am thinking of. It would be for stingrays so will need to change a decent amount of water per day, say around 50 gallon ?
Would i need to prefilter this water coming straight from a tap. I am thinking that a drip would desperse any clorine on hitting the tank ?
Who out there uses one of these systems and can through any suggestions my way ?

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
neo has one i believe...

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Great links thanks. But i am sure i remember an old thread where it was stated you did not need to treat the water added to the tank so long as it was a steady drip and contained no Chloromins. Chlorine will desperse when dripped but not Chloromine. Anyone know if this is correct please ?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Yes that is correct. However, the chlorine is a little slow to dissipate, it isn't instantanious. Know what your average tap water Cl2 level is before assuming you don't need to remove the chlorine. If you have an average of 3.0 ppm and you replace 1/3 of the tank water daily, you will have a theoretical residual of 1.0 ppm. The actual residual will be much lower though due to the continual dissipation. In my system, I get total volume replacement every four days. I have never had a detectible level of chlorine. My test kit'sfirst color chip is .02 ppm and I have never reached that. I always get a zero reading.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
jim barry;775364; said:
Great links thanks. But i am sure i remember an old thread where it was stated you did not need to treat the water added to the tank so long as it was a steady drip and contained no Chloromins. Chlorine will desperse when dripped but not Chloromine. Anyone know if this is correct please ?
I wrote the other thread but I got tired of having people trying to show me why it didn't work even though I had 30+ tanks running on it for more then a year so I deleted it.

You need to filter the water to remove the chlorine but a filter will last more then a month and they only cost 5 or 6 US dollars. I'm dripping 20gph from 1 filter and it can handle a lot more.

I think I still have it in a text file and if you PM me your email I'll email it to you.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
repair;775585; said:
I wrote the other thread but I got tired of having people trying to show me why it didn't work even though I had 30+ tanks running on it for more then a year so I deleted it.

You need to filter the water to remove the chlorine but a filter will last more then a month and they only cost 5 or 6 US dollars. I'm dripping 20gph from 1 filter and it can handle a lot more.

I think I still have it in a text file and if you PM me your email I'll email it to you.
Make a new thread:D Your system is impressive.

I use a filter similar to the one Repair is using. You can get it at basically any hardware store and it's just a carbon insert. Cheap insurance:)

Bucko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
S.E. Michigan
Howdy all, this is my first post, but I have been following the DIY section for awhile now. Here is a link to an eductor that is rated to add liquid chemicals for a flow rate down to 2.5gph. I was looking at getting one for myself for adding de-chlorinator to my fill rig. http://www.ezfloinjection.com/1-6.asp

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Bucko;777862; said:
Howdy all, this is my first post, but I have been following the DIY section for awhile now. Here is a link to an eductor that is rated to add liquid chemicals for a flow rate down to 2.5gph. I was looking at getting one for myself for adding de-chlorinator to my fill rig. http://www.ezfloinjection.com/1-6.asp

:welcome: Stalker...:D
Good find :headbang2 .

They say it will flow down to 5psi but they don't have rates on the site...bummer.

Dr Joe

Bucko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
S.E. Michigan
I saw the 2.5 gph on a site that sells the unit, but this morning I found another site that says 2.5 gpm which would be a little much for a drip system unless you use big drips....lol. I'll do some more looking when I get some time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store