Drip tray/spray bar(wet/dry) proto type. couple pics

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
I set up a AC110 on a little 45 gallon corner tank in my bedroom. The filter sits so high up about 3-4" above water line the sound of the water hitting was like a giant taking a leak; and the undertow was crazy on the little fish. So I came up with this idea of putting a old trickle plate underneath the water outlet. Well it worked fairly well the sound is now like a light rain its pretty cool, and way less of a water current. I don't think I have ever seen this done and It seemed like something I should share maybe; people might like it and some people will think its kind of pointless. People may elaborate on this ghetto design you never know. I'm completely stoked with it and cant wait to make a new design to where it will cover the hole top with leaving a little feeding hole. I just love the sound now. It give a hole new feel to the lighting in the tank to, it has that shadowy wave look!

Also I have a ton of bio balls and scrubbies I could lay in there running across; makes for a simple wet dry setup. Minus the actual bio media needed for a preferred system but hey its better than no trickle bio filtration know what I'm saying? Orrrrrr line the tray with cheap polyester stuffing for some good mechanical filtration. Ohhh the possibilities

DSC00036.JPG
DSC00040.JPG
But the main gold here was to slow the down the water current and noise from filter. NOT to make a wet/dry filter

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00036.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
I like it, many fish are triggered to spawn with rain( that's why cold water changes work) and cold water poured into those plates... Maybe the next great thing in freshwater spawning hahaha... Hmm ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
Glad you two like the idea; was hoping other people would. You could go with tons of really small holes for a even cooler affect! Ill definitely be messing around with this idea a lot.

That is interesting you say that probassfisher, you never know(I'm hoping these two are a breeding pair). The texas cichlids are very intrigued by it; they have been hanging out a lot up there. One problem is a lot of people dont have that much room to work with you would have to raise or adjust your outlet level some how

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
Yea I did end up lining it with bio balls and covered it, but when I run to the LFS im going to pick up some floss and replace it with that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store