Dry ice in Fish Tank?

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
So today I was sitting in science class and my science teacher dropped so dry ice into a beaker of water and it bubbled and created steam and it looked pretty cool. Since I was pretty bored I started thinking about dry ice and then saw how it bubbles pretty well and I wondered to myself how that would look in a fish tank? So my question is, would it kill the fish in a tank if you dropped dry ice in? I know that the gas that comes off of the dry ice is CO2. But I was thinking wow that would be a great aerator for a tank. Then realized unconventional and expensive. But I thought how would this affect fish if at all? Could I put it in a tank to make a cool video for my fish account on insta(@805_all_things_fish)? Let me know your thoughts.

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
I wouldn’t do it. Besides the expense, it is super cold and could a ton of other stuff into your system. Others may have more info though.

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
I wouldn’t do it. Besides the expense, it is super cold and could a ton of other stuff into your system. Others may have more info though.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. How ever my science teacher told us that the dry ice can’t actually get wet because the gas coming off of it doesn’t allow it to. He showed this by putting it in dyed water then taking it out and showing how the dye did not stain it. So I don’t know if the temperature would change or not because it turns to a gas so quickly?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Well, I use it every deer season to keep deer meat cold for days at a time. I have to wrap part of the area where the two contact so that the meat doesn’t get freezer burnt or just plain cold burnt.
I still wouldn’t do it, especially as all of the warnings say to use gloves when handling maybe in a sump though.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
RD. RD.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
it will displays the oxygen in the tank water. and smother the fish is what I am thinking.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
did a little search, yup CO2 will displays the oxygen in the tank, smothering the fish depending on how much you put in. and how long, just a bad ideal.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Just so anyone isn’t confused when he said “displays” it should have said “displace” I believe.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
true, thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store