Duckweed

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
How does duckweed rate as a diet suppliment? Mostly for my cichlids but my tetras get a bunch when they eat their flakes off the surface.

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
i also throw some into my Buenos aires tetras I think plant matter is a important part of many fishes diets id say its a good add to a staple diet obv wouldn't just feed that but they seem to nibble on it more during fasting day once a week

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used it for vegetarian cichlids like Cincelichthys bocourti, and pearsei, and for Etroplus suratensus.
I don't know about nutritional value, but it seemed good at clearing the gut, which I feel is important for those vegetarians fed pellets rather higher in protein than these fish have evolved to consume on a regular basis.

I did grow it in my tanks, and not use it from wild areas where it might contain paracites or their eggs.

Reactions: kno4te

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When collected fresh, approx. 90+% water content (a non-nutrient), high in carbs, ash, and fiber, the latter being what Duane was referring to. As far as actual nutrient content, including protein/fat/minerals etc, that would be dependent on the water they are grown out in, so that will obviously vary.

But I agree, all fish, even those that are classified as carnivorous, should be consuming some aquatic plant matter on a regular basis. I supplement mine with dry aquatic based commercial food, I would personally never introduce duckweed to a tank due to the mess it can make if not kept under control. That, and the nutrient levels are a lot higher when aquatic plant matter is fed on a dry matter basis, vs fresh.

For reference:

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
I love the stuff for my goldie, its fun to listen to him slurp it for the next few days so to me its so worth the mess

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
When collected fresh, approx. 90+% water content (a non-nutrient), high in carbs, ash, and fiber, the latter being what Duane was referring to. As far as actual nutrient content, including protein/fat/minerals etc, that would be dependent on the water they are grown out in, so that will obviously vary.

But I agree, all fish, even those that are classified as carnivorous, should be consuming some aquatic plant matter on a regular basis. I supplement mine with dry aquatic based commercial food, I would personally never introduce duckweed to a tank due to the mess it can make if not kept under control. That, and the nutrient levels are a lot higher when aquatic plant matter is fed on a dry matter basis, vs fresh.

For reference:

Good god RD, there's more trace minerals and nutrients in duckweed than there is in my "fortified with minerals" breakfast cereal! I hope Kelloggs don't get wind of this! :grinyes:

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Good god RD, there's more trace minerals and nutrients in duckweed than there is in my "fortified with minerals" breakfast cereal! I hope Kelloggs don't get wind of this! :grinyes:
If you've got a big enough pond I bet you could feed yourself off duckweed. Maybe collect it, dry it and grind it into a kind of flower, or press it into pellets...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store