Duckweed

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hate this stuff?. You think you have eradicated it from a tank only to find out you missed a tiny little piece and now there's a million.
It takes mere seconds to quickly scoop up 90% of it, and you are removing tons of locked in nitrates and other fish wastes when you do so. And a week or so later, you can do it again! I'd never want to completely eradicate it!

But, yeah, if for some reason you decide you want it all gone...well, good luck with that. :)

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
How could I have duckweed, but have enough light and nutrients for other plants?
My tank has 8 different Bacopa Carolinia stems that are flourishing, plus 6-10 Vallisneria Spiralis stems, which are currently melting, but spreading. Also a few Anubis and Java Fern.
In the future I'm also planning Pothos, but that could be a problem for later.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s pretty thin, light will penetrate through it. You can also remove lots to make room for extra light.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
How could I have duckweed, but have enough light and nutrients for other plants?
Well, obviously, if you allow the duckweed to cover the surface of the tank with a solid layer an inch thick, it will be a problem. So...don't do that.

Control the amount of duckweed the same as you would any other plant. Experiment to find the amount of duckweed cover that gives you the appearance you like, and which still allows for other plants to grow as well. This amount will depend upon your own personal taste as well as light levels, nutrient levels, requirements of the other plants, etc.

It's always a compromise; shades of grey rather than simple black and white.

Edited to add: <<sigh>> Well...I guess it was Deadeye Deadeye 's turn to out-type me this time...

Last edited:

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
What fish can eat gels with duckweed in them?
pretty much all my fish eat my fish food (I think I keep most of the fish you do), which has duckweed in it. Mine consists of: Thin val, Watercress, duckweed, barramundi fillets, prawn and agar gel

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
pretty much all my fish eat my fish food (I think I keep most of the fish you do), which has duckweed in it. Mine consists of: Thin val, Watercress, duckweed, barramundi fillets, prawn and agar gel
Do your bichirs? Agar agar is safe for fish?

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Do your bichirs? Agar agar is safe for fish?
Yep my bichir smashes it! I forgot to say I put earthworms and BSFL in the mix as well. Agar gel is safe, it binds it all together after being blended

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have mixed duckweed with batches of Repashy. All my fish eat it, but among the ones who relish it, Flagtail Prochilodus, SDs (Metynnis), Bosemani rainbows, Ancistrus plecos, but really, all my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store