Dumb Bulkhead Question Inside...

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
This is pretty simple and straightforward (and probably a dumb question, lol). How do I tighten bulkheads? Hand tighten? Hand tighten plus 1/2 turn? I don't know, you guys educate me. Pretty Please.:)

gasser

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Oklahoma
For my bulkheads I tighten by hand. If its a small bulkhead like 1" then I may put a wrench on it for the last 1/4 turn. Watch it and see if it leaks. If it leaks then you can try to tighten a little more but be carefull not to crack the tank. Your gasket may be getting bunched up. You might try lubeing your gasket wtih some silicone lube.

I used some large bulkheads on my Rubbermaid tubs and they were hard to seal because of the texture of the material and I had to put silicone glue on the gasket before tightening it up and then I let them set up. No leaks in 7 years.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
Thanks.:)

qumqats

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Sacramento
gallery.outel.org
I hesitate to use silicone.

The silicone is sooooo slippery that when I tighten the bulkhead the rubber gasket gets squeezed out from between bulkhead and the glass. I start without, and then if it's still leaking I may try using a LITTLE silicone.

The water depth makes a big difference. What might work with a couple of inches of head in the plumbing system won't work at the bottom of a 2 foot tank.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
Thanks guys for the advice. So far, hand tight plus a little is working fine. I've put about 6" of water in the tank (60" long x 24" wide x 30" tall) and no leaks so far. I have totally resealed this tank by taking it all the way apart and putting it back together. It's in the house at the moment, so I didn't want to go ahead and fill it all the way up at once in case of a leak. But, like I said, hand tight plus a little seems to be holding the water in. Thanks very much.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store