Dwarf crenicichla help?

Pterophyllum sp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
Hello...

Looking for a little crenicichla help. These were purchased a C. notophthalmus. The males, display elongate, and unattached anterior dorsal spines, as expected....the females seem close, but a bit "off". Dorsal ocelli are black, bit fringed first by a white ring, and then red. Spot on the caudal peduncle, seems quite a bit more visible than my 20 year old books would suggest.

Thoughts?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like notophthalmus.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
She kind of doesn't though with the full white ring around the black. Maybe one of the sp. of affin noto's.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Pterophyllum sp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
She kind of doesn't though with the full white ring around the black. Maybe one of the sp. of affin noto's.
Thank you. I suppose that was kind of the point of this post. I've seen similar "noto" females from the Manicore area of the Rio Madeira, but am unsure where the pike folks draw the line between population diagnostics and species diagnostics...

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I like to keep them separate until a formal description comes out ... but nobody as far as I know are working on them. So always list them by location the way Westie keepers do just in case the splitters decide they are different species instead of just location differences within the species. The way say convicts have been broken up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store