Dwarf datnoid?

cktyu

Black Skirt Tetra
Aug 28, 2018
Are there such thing as dwarf datnoids? Or are there specific species that are smaller than the others?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a Dwarf Datnoid. Only things I could think might be passed as such would be short bodied Datnoids though the price on these is likely to be a lot higher because some are into this style of fish, driving the price up and Nandus Nandus, sometimes commonly called a Marble Datnoid. They can reach around 9" if I recall though I've never seen one near that size. They share a similar shape and behavior to Datnoids but are not an actual Datnoid.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
And to answer the second question, Silver Datnoids are the smallest variety maxing out around the 12" mark though some outliers can be a little larger. Generally speaking, you can expect any other Datnoid to reach at least 16" given enough time and space to grow. IT and ST Datnoids can both grow in excess of 18-24", I haven't been around much in the last few years but a member here T1 has arguably the largest ST in captivity, if I recall correctly it was close to 30" last I saw it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lol..I have no clue. Found that pic years ago on a Thai website and it always made me laugh
I have seen that photo quite a bit over the years and wondered about the dat's fate.Either way it's sad to see it shoehorned in that cube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store