Dwarf Mexican crayfish molting issue

Shrimpsterino

Feeder Fish
Apr 19, 2023
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
one of my crayfish is currently molting and seems to be having significant issues! He got his head and his claw out and seems to be struggling getting his back legs out. He’s lying on his side and not moving so much. Is there anything I can do to help the little guy out? I’ve only had these crayfish for about a week and a half and two mooted just fine, not sure what went wrong with this one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Knowing your parameters would help a lot. Though not something that is usually tested in freshwater, phosphate and calcium can affect molting.
Failed molts do happen, and it often can be due to bad luck. It’s hard to say at this point whether or not this crayfish will survive, but knowing what the issue was can prevent the others from the same issue.

Reactions: xenacanth9

Shrimpsterino

Feeder Fish
Apr 19, 2023
Thankyou for the reply Deadeye, the parameters are as follows: ph:7.2 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 gh 7 kh 3 TDS 231
Good news however, the crayfish did finish molting by this morning, however he’s a bit wonky now lol. Hopefully next molt sorts some things out and he can start regrowing some legs! He’s got plenty of places to hide from the other crayfish so hopefully he can recover.

image.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Glad to hear he made it - all params are fine for crayfish.
May have just been bad luck in this case - keep an eye on him but I would think he will do fine since he survived the molt.
Welcome to the forum by the way!

Reactions: Shrimpsterino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store