Dwarf puffer with my cichlids?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
In a 40g? Sure. Only thing is there will be a risk of the puffers harassing/attacking//killing/eating some of the fish. But I think majority of the fish will be fine.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
I think that's what I'll do. I might just feed my tetras to my cichlids.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
dwarf puffers are the biggest "pest" fish I have ever had. They nip at everything and pest everything. I wouldn't put them with anything that isnt bigger then them and wont eat them, other then that forget about it IMO. Why not just get a 10g and put a couple in there. 10G is only like $10.

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
I will never put anything in a ten gallon. The smallest tank I would use for any fish is a 20 gallon.

Anubisscott

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2009
Enid, OK
www.facebook.com
Its not worth it. Your puffers will just nip away the fins of your other fish. Years ago when I worked at Petsmart we used to have dwarf puffers with gold goruami's and mollies. Those little bastards would just nip away at the fins and needless to say those fish were near finless. I finally made room for them in a solo tank until we sold them all. Talked the manager into not ordering them anymore as they never sold and would just eat away at the fins of the fish until they died which they do alot since they don't seem very hardy. Just do a solo tank. Stressed and finless fish are not fun to watch.:(

Chicklette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Puffer will nip the crap out of any fish. You best bet is to get rid of the tetras and make it a species only tank just for puffers.

Dreamsing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas
Do they have a craigslist setup in your area? Might be able to give the tetras away for slightly greater than free (keeps the crazies away). I've had some luck with that when no LFS would take a fish. There's usually someone out there who wants them.

xrayjeeper83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Jax, FL
with a 40G you could put 8-10 dwarfs, The rule for them is first one 5g, 3-4g for every one after that. And you would need to make sure the m/f is right, 1/3 or so

I would love to have a heavily planted 40 for a bunch of DPs

Alex926

Feeder Fish
Jul 5, 2017
if the dwarf puffers would harass tetras i think they would also harass guppies and mollies.
they are similar sized fish.
i would like to know what fish can live with a dwarf puffer though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store