Dwarf Puffers: Another brief introduction

Dwarf Puffers can be a great mini-monster in your planted tank. They are extremely small so can be kept in something as small as a 10 gallon, but really I'd like to see them in a 30 gallon or more. Their care requirements are pretty straightforward, and while I won't say they're extremely hardy, they are quite adaptable in terms of water chemistry. If you acclimate them slowly, you can keep them in hard or soft water (though they really appreciate softer water). They like their water a little more alkaline, 7.5 would work well. Typical tropical temperatures are fine.

Unlike most puffers, you don't have to feed hard-shelled foods all the time. Their teeth don't keep growing forever like other puffers. That said, I do recommend feeding them livefoods like snails and earthworms to keep them active and healthy (as you will most likely get wild-caught ones). Any size snail they will take on and devour. But please don't go all out and feed them mystery snails and other large snails as they will gorge and gorge. Shrimp of any kind will also be taken.

As far as compatibility goes, these guys are not the best. Ever though they only get to 1 inch max, they will attack anything that strays into their territory and so belong in a species-only setup. They are not schooling fish but feel safer with other puffers in the tank (kind of a dither fish idea). However, they will fight to the death so give them plenty of plants and a larger tank (if you want to keep more than 1) so they can carve out territories. Rule of thumb is 3 gallons a puffer. It is not unusual to lose 1 or 2 puffers in your first week. Give sand for a substrate.

I don't know how to breed these guys, I have never done it myself. I've heard it's been done but not really sure what exactly water conditions were when they were bred. As they will most likely be wild caught you will have to go through a lengthy deworming process and quarantine.

Anyway, these guys have a lot of personality and act kind of like a mini cichlid in your tank. I think the most enjoyable part about them feeding them, though I also enjoy looking at them stalk around the tank. Getting a dwarf puffer is an inexpensive investment that will definitely pay off in the long run. Who knows, you may even breed them. If you do, please let me know!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Under rated little puffer. Love these little guys in a planted tank.

Reactions: DMD123 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store