Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
Have you tested your water?
No
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I was hoping that someone could help me out with my mystery snails. I ordered them in the mail about a month ago and they were doing great until recently. They aren’t opening up like they normally would and it’s concerning me. I tested the water and it was a little hard and the Ph was a little high. I very, very, gently treated the tank over a few days to keep it in their range. I tested the water again today and everything was fine, but they seem worse. They are in my 10g betta tank. My betta does not aggravate them in any way. There is a decent amount of algae and plant matter in the tank. Since having them they haven't really shown any interest in blanched vegetables but they do eat any left over food. I added a little bit of calcium to the water three weeks ago and last week. It’s just the calcium powder with d3 that I use for my reptiles. I also added an air stone to the tank which made them perk up a small amount at first. I don’t really know what to do or what’s wrong. I know they are sensitive to water changes, even though they weren’t doing good is it possible treating them water made them worse? The only other thing I can think of is that they are overstocked. I ordered three snails but the provider doubled the order so now I have six, way more than I should for 10g. I didn’t think this would cause health problems, as they have a lot of food and my filter is good, until realizing last week. I’m getting another tank but it’s coming Tuesday and it won’t be established for another week at least. Idk what to do until then. I’m worried that that isn’t even the issue. Does anyone have and recommendations or know what could be wrong? The one thing I didn’t check was ammonia. I’m going tomorrow to the store to get more supplies to do so. Hopefully it’s not that and hopefully it’s not too late.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Check for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Nitrates <40 is safe, nitrite and ammonia should be 0.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store