Easy ways to seal a stock tank valve?

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
What would be some easy ways to seal the valve on a stock tank? I want to put one inside my house as a small pond, but a lot of reviews mention stock tanks with valves leaking. I'll most likely be going with a Tuff Stuff 110 gal(416 L) stock tank Tuff Stuff Heavy-Duty Oval Stock Tank, 110 Gal. at Tractor Supply Co. When I asked on reddit someone suggested caulk, but thought I'd double check here first. Since I'll probably be using a pump or python to remove water, I'm ok with it being permanent.

If I go with caulk is there any specific kind I should look for? I'd prefer something I can find locally if possible.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
based on another topic from this site, I ended up getting GE 100% silicone. The number 1 silicone, not the number 2 because from what I understand 2 has a mold inhibitor. Should this adhere to the stock tan well enough?

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
What would be some easy ways to seal the valve on a stock tank? I want to put one inside my house as a small pond, but a lot of reviews mention stock tanks with valves leaking. I'll most likely be going with a Tuff Stuff 110 gal(416 L) stock tank Tuff Stuff Heavy-Duty Oval Stock Tank, 110 Gal. at Tractor Supply Co. When I asked on reddit someone suggested caulk, but thought I'd double check here first. Since I'll probably be using a pump or python to remove water, I'm ok with it being permanent.

If I go with caulk is there any specific kind I should look for? I'd prefer something I can find locally if possible.
I have the exact tub, and I had issues with it leaking as well.
I fixed it by using 3 layers of aquarium silicone to seal up the valve. It hasn't leaked for the past few months.

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
I have the exact tub, and I had issues with it leaking as well.
I fixed it by using 3 layers of aquarium silicone to seal up the valve. It hasn't leaked for the past few months.
Thanks, I'll probably seal it on the outside and inside then. The GE silicone says it cures in 24 hrs. Hopefully that will be enough, especially since this is just for extra protection. Need to get the fish moved in there soon

Last edited:

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks, I'll probably seal it on the outside and inside then. The GE silicone says it cures in 24 hrs. Hopefully that will be enough, especially since this is just for extra protection. Need to get the fish moved in there soon
Oh yeah, I also did it on both sides. You should be fine with leaks if you do that. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store