Eating Carp

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Has anyone ever ate carp? What does it taste like and ways to cook it? I’ve always been told they’re trash fish but recently have been wanting to try carp for some reason. I’ve also been told by a couple people before that carp is really good as long as you take out the mud vein. Also I’ve heard it’s harder to fillet because of a different spine structure.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Germans brought carp here a long time ago and it had to have been a royal pain in the ass to get them here.

they didn’t do that because it was a worthless trash fish so I am also always interested in this discussion.

I’ve eaten it smoked and just cooked. Best bet is small fish out of cold clean water.

bleed it immediately. Put it on ice.

cut out red meat and bones then cook

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Germans brought carp here a long time ago and it had to have been a royal pain in the ass to get them here.

they didn’t do that because it was a worthless trash fish so I am also always interested in this discussion.

I’ve eaten it smoked and just cooked. Best bet is small fish out of cold clean water.

bleed it immediately. Put it on ice.

cut out red meat and bones then cook
How do you remove the bones though

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Carp has numerous tiny bone in the meat, so it needs special way of cooking to make it palatable. Carp is commonly eaten in Asia and part of Europe, but not in US. There is an invasion of Asian carp in Mississippi basin and there is carp catching festival and push to teach American to consume carp.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
How do you remove the bones though
You cannot remove the bones. They are not large vertebrate bones but hair bones embedded in the matrix of the meat. Most popular food fish have few to none of these hair bones but are present in high density in carp, sardine, herring, etc. Proper cooking such as deep fry, smoking or canning can make these tiny bones palatable. Experienced fish eaters have no problem spitting out the tiny bones, which is an acquired skill.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Carp where brought to north america as food fish so I assume you can eat them. all I have ever used them for is catfish bait. The Channel "Catfish and Carp" has a carp catch and cook video. He shows how he fillets them.
Carp are the most important food fish in Asia, cheap protein and easy to raise. But farm raised carp there are tasty, not muddy taste in America wild caught carp. Asian carp don’t jump or grow huge in Asia, only in America

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store