EBA EGGS GONE!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
When they first hatch they are not very big at all.
20190209_164142.jpg
Here is mama guarding eggs
20190211_160530.jpg
And after hatching. The pile in the back are the fry. Basically they are just bigger grains of sand. They are this way for three days then you get this.
20190215_121009.jpg

They will herd them around to eat algae and microorganisms

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
my female eba once laid eggs on a pot which was in clear visual view within a day the eggs were gone since then they have spawned 4 times but I only know that eggs or fry are about when the rest of the fish in the tank are penned in at the other end of the tank . Up to last week I had fry in the tank I managed to scoop out 8 fry and put in a little grow out tank . As the fry got bigger my eba pair were struggling to keep them together and I was seeing them being picked off by the other fish. I notice that when my pair are going to spawn the male starts biting the plants in my tank and dose a weird shaking movement. Once they start spawning they don't seem to stop.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Ok are the pair attacking the glass when you get near the aquarium. If not then they ate the eggs.
This is it, right here ^. This is the easiest indicator; depending on the amount of cover in the tank, it is easily possible that they are hidden somewhere out of sight. The behaviour of the parents is a dead giveaway. If they are acting aggressively protective towards you, then just relax and keep your eyes open for that wonderful little cloud of fry in a couple days. It's one of the little joys of fishkeeping.

Worst case scenario? They ate 'em; very common with young parents on their first spawning. Not the end of the world, they'll lay again soon and practice makes perfect. Take a breath, relax, and let nature take its course.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The stage between egg, and free swimmers, is very hard to see, and the parent cichlids often hide them very well.

The wrigglers are almost transparent

Those above, are really inly visible because they are in a breeder box next to the glass that is only 3" wide.
If they were somewhere hidden in the substrate, they'd be impossible to see.
You will only see them when they become free swimming, and start looking for food.

I have free swimming Andinoacara at the moment (close cousin to blue acaras) and even as free swimmers I can barely see them in my heavily planted tank.
2A538BE8-29C3-4382-A72C-39DD12628E07_1_201_a.jpeg
7CC1B485-2C6C-4D3D-A9AB-A8EB14C12C6C_1_201_a.jpeg

Lo_mein.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2020
This is it, right here ^. This is the easiest indicator; depending on the amount of cover in the tank, it is easily possible that they are hidden somewhere out of sight. The behaviour of the parents is a dead giveaway. If they are acting aggressively protective towards you, then just relax and keep your eyes open for that wonderful little cloud of fry in a couple days. It's one of the little joys of fishkeeping.

Worst case scenario? They ate 'em; very common with young parents on their first spawning. Not the end of the world, they'll lay again soon and practice makes perfect. Take a breath, relax, and let nature take its course.

They were not being aggressive. the reason I asked and seemed urgent is because my EBA'S looked miserable. I wanted to take them from their breeding tank and put them back home. It's like they lost purpose and missed being in their big tank. I believed there wasn't any eggs but I didnt know how to make sure of it.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store