Ebjd might be the weakest fish I've ever had

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I have 4 of them right now and 2 of them came through the mail.in cold water.. all over 3 inches and all now have internal parasites and ich.. never had such a weak fish

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
All my EBJDs has parasites as well, all three survived. I sold one and still have two.

I think the trick is catching it early and treating it ASAP

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I tried one once, he was terrified of baby guppies and hid from them, refusing to eat or interact, until he died. I was thinking of moving him to a loner tank but realized he didn't deserve to live if he couldn't overcome his fear of guppies.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I tried one once, he was terrified of baby guppies and hid from them, refusing to eat or interact, until he died. I was thinking of moving him to a loner tank but realized he didn't deserve to live if he couldn't overcome his fear of guppies.
I've never owned anything that feared guppies, that's not normal behavior at all

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Treat them like discus and don't feed pellets or flakes until adult
Say what? EBJD (as well as Discus) do just fine on commercial foods. When I got mine many years ago from Rapps they were fed catfish crumble, which may not be ideal, but even a low cost farm feed seem to get the job done.

Overall EBJD are genetically weak fish, much like flowerhorn and other designer (inbred) fish, and often have internal issues. My advice would be to feed a round of New Life Spectrum Hex-Shield. Followed by feeding NLS Probiotix on a regular basis. The first will clean out the majority of hex/spiro, at least knock them back to a level where most fish can deal with them, and the latter is to assist supporting a healthy gastrointestinal system.

This is how I would approach treating any newly purchased FH or EBJD.

Bummer about the ich, but this is often the result when getting overly stressed fish from commercial vendors.

Good luck

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Say what? EBJD (as well as Discus) do just fine on commercial foods. When I got mine many years ago from Rapps they were fed catfish crumble, which may not be ideal, but even a low cost farm feed seem to get the job done.

Overall EBJD are genetically weak fish, much like flowerhorn and other designer (inbred) fish, and often have internal issues. My advice would be to feed a round of New Life Spectrum Hex-Shield. Followed by feeding NLS Probiotix on a regular basis. The first will clean out the majority of hex/spiro, at least knock them back to a level where most fish can deal with them, and the latter is to assist supporting a healthy gastrointestinal system.

This is how I would approach treating any newly purchased FH or EBJD.

Bummer about the ich, but this is often the result when getting overly stressed fish from commercial vendors.

Good luck
It's because some ebjd have weak digestive abilities when young, my method helps increase likelihood of survival

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store