Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
I haven't read much up on this- but there was some doctor on the news saying it is not contagious until the after the person gets very sick? But I guess I'll research to catch up to you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
This is correct, Zapantha. They have to spike a fever and start coughing before it has gotten severe enough to transmit. Joe - hahahaha. :D

Filoviruses are really not closely related enough to orthomyxoviruses (influenza) to swap genes.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I asked this before but I wonder how virus mutation works...two different strains of flu virus can exchange genetic info in the same animal(read pigs), how likely is that to happen if in the same pig lungs there are both flu and Ebola viruses?

I am happier if the answer is not very likely or impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; From what I recall we are talking about an RNA virus. My knowledge is a bit dated but it is likely someone will point out any errors.

When a virus manages to invade a cell it takes up housekeeping and takes over the cell's internal mechanisms and makes it produce more virus parts. It uses it's own RNA code to make copies of itself. By the nature of using only an RNA code, there are fewer control mechanisms at work to help ensure a proper and correct copy each time. During the assembly of the new virus some errors in the code are often made. A captured cell can make a lot of new virus before it dies. Some of the new copies with the errors would be the ones called a mutation.

The virus with the altered code may be diferent enough to affect it's ability to infect another person. The mutated virus may become less lethal, more lethal and so on. It may be able to infect a different type of body cell than before. In an infected person there should likely be many changed virus copies with some changes making very little difference and others being more significant. If some of the mutated virus do have a more lethal adaptation, then that mutated copy can have a better chance of getting passed on to and infecting the next victim. The ones with mutations that do not help the virus get to the next victim can just die out I guess. It seems likely that in the past the virus has mutated but the mutated copy did not make to a new host in time because it kills the infected so quickly. Now that so many are infected at the same time the odds of a more virulent strain seems more likely.

Once a virus takes hold in a new species it tends to mutate in a manner that makes it more able to infect additional new individuals of that species. Apparently it made the leap to people from an animal. Now that it is traveling thru prople it is likely to change and be better able to both infect more people and move to different cells.
We currently have a fairly large number of people carrying the infection with the prospect of the numbers swelling in the near future. It does seem somewhat likely some will produce a virus with virus to people adptations.

On becoming truly air borne? This seems less likely as the current strains of ebola would have to mutate to have a different outer coating. Right now it does not persist well in air and we can only hope it stays that way. As discussed already moist air or mist of some sort may keep the virus viable in air for a time.

The notion that there were special circumstances in the pig to primate transmission study does not give me particular comfort. Cross species transmission is usually less likely than inter species transmission. The circumstances of the transmission in that study do not seem so very unique to me. Now that the virus is moving people to people such a high humidity/water droplet place seems somewhat common. It might give pause if someone were to sneeze in a fishroom, aquatic pet store or public aquaruiium.

Wish us all luck.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I'm confused. It was only a mere 3 weeks ago they brought the infected here to America with an uncurable virus. Now they are sending him home. They say the last 2 tests were good...only 2 tests. Yet they are saying there is still no cure.

Even if he is clean you would think they would want to study him more. Something is going on. They also admit a certain body fluid will still have it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/health/ebola-patient-release/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'm confused. It was only a mere 3 weeks ago they brought the infected here to America with an uncurable virus. Now they are sending him home. They say the last 2 tests were good...only 2 tests. Yet they are saying there is still no cure.

Even if he is clean you would think they would want to study him more. Something is going on. They also admit a certain body fluid will still have it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/health/ebola-patient-release/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Hello; yes, there have been studies showing that the virus can persist for at up to 60 days in some male body fluids. They must assume that he will take precautions.

The CDC seems very confident in their policies and practices. I do hope that it does not turn out to be overconfidence. At any rate they are setting precedents for the treatment of any infected in the future.

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Hmm. How are we using the term 'cure' here?

Uncurable does not always mean fatal. It does not always mean terminal.

When described as 'uncurable' in this case, it means that there is no single-dose treatment that is going to wipe out the virus. In this case, the patient must be supported with fluids until their immune system can clear it out. The common cold is also 'uncurable' but once you have recovered from it, you are no longer contagious nor do you carry it. He will not be a carrier in a month or a half or so. Ebola does not behave like herpesviruses or chicken pox/shingle viruses, which DO linger in a person's nerve tissues.

He can be studied plenty during appointments.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

When described as 'uncurable' in this case, it means that there is no single-dose treatment that is going to wipe out the virus. In this case, the patient must be supported with fluids until their immune system can clear it out. The common cold is also 'uncurable' but once you have recovered from it, you are no longer contagious nor do you carry it. He will not be a carrier in a month or a half or so. Ebola does not behave like herpesviruses or chicken pox/shingle viruses, which DO linger in a person's nerve tissues. He can be studied plenty during appointments.
Hello; I agree with your description relative to the term cure. My take of Warborg's post is that a potentially infectious person is to be released from isolation still possibly having live virus in his body that can be shed. Perhaps more to the point that there is no cure, vaccine or other such, for the people he may come in contact with. Seeing as we have no say so in this, I do hope the CDC folks have this properly worked out.

I was not aware it is known that the ebola virus does not persist once the infected persons immune system gets them thru the initial infection. That is good for those who survive.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas

When described as 'uncurable' in this case, it means that there is no single-dose treatment that is going to wipe out the virus. In this case, the patient must be supported with fluids until their immune system can clear it out. The common cold is also 'uncurable' but once you have recovered from it, you are no longer contagious nor do you carry it. He will not be a carrier in a month or a half or so. Ebola does not behave like herpesviruses or chicken pox/shingle viruses, which DO linger in a person's nerve tissues.

He can be studied plenty during appointments.
My thinking is the term uncurable means they will always have the virus but comparing it to a cold is a very good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store