Eddie the flowerhorn

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Hi all my first time posting hear and also first time flowerhorn keeper. Just looking for an identification on my flowerhorn and a grade if possible please. I've identified his as a blue magma but I could be wrong the fs told me he was a red magma but I don't think that's the case. The first pic is the day he arrived and the second picture is a week later. I can add more pics if needed.

Screenshot_20210223_142719_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20210223_142624_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'd agree that he's a Magma FH. Either that or he was a failed Thai silk that just didn't lose all the rest of the other colors. Thai silks are most commonly made from ZZ Red Dragon's just like Magma's, only difference between them is is that Magma's also have Kamfa genes bred into em, hence the red Dragon appearance just with a boxier body style, smaller kok, wider tailfin and increased pearling.

If I was to grade yours I would say it's at a B+ rating atm. He definitely got a bit too much of the ZZ genes when it came to his body style. He still has the Kamfa pearls and tailfin but everything else is leaning heavily on the ZZ genes. Still not a bad looking FH tho, given some time and good quality food and he could eventually reach A grade. That kok size tho definitely helps with his grading tho. These 2 FH's in this pic show what ya could get if it was closer to AA-AAA grade.

High-Quality-Magma-Flowerhorn-Cichlid-Fry.jpg

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
I'd agree that he's a Magma FH. Either that or he was a failed Thai silk that just didn't lose all the rest of the other colors. Thai silks are most commonly made from ZZ Red Dragon's just like Magma's, only difference between them is is that Magma's also have Kamfa genes bred into em, hence the red Dragon appearance just with a boxier body style, smaller kok, wider tailfin and increased pearling.

If I was to grade yours I would say it's at a B+ rating atm. He definitely got a bit too much of the ZZ genes when it came to his body style. He still has the Kamfa pearls and tailfin but everything else is leaning heavily on the ZZ genes. Still not a bad looking FH tho, given some time and good quality food and he could eventually reach A grade. That kok size tho definitely helps with his grading tho. These 2 FH's in this pic show what ya could get if it was closer to AA-AAA grade.

View attachment 1453473
Thank you so much for your reply, it's hugely appreciated what ever he is I love him ?. Is it common for magmas to have gold/yellow in the faces.

IMG_20210304_210030.jpg

IMG_20210304_210014.jpg

IMG_20210304_210056.jpg

IMG_20210304_210049.jpg

IMG_20210304_210052.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you so much for your reply, it's hugely appreciated what ever he is I love him ?. Is it common for magmas to have gold/yellow in the faces.

View attachment 1453492

View attachment 1453493

View attachment 1453494

View attachment 1453495

View attachment 1453496
Yup, it's just a left over trait from their Trimac cichlid ancestors. Just like the red eyes, flowerline, and red chest. You could say that the kok is also a Trimac trait but that honestly is a trait you'll find in almost any Amphilophus specie.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Yup, it's just a left over trait from their Trimac cichlid ancestors. Just like the red eyes, flowerline, and red chest. You could say that the kok is also a Trimac trait but that honestly is a trait you'll find in almost any Amphilophus specie.
Thank you again for the information I've learnt more from you than Google, trying to find info is no easy ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Seriously you have beautiful fish and you love him, I don't think anything else should matter. Without categorizing him with flowerhorn catagory, I would say he is pretty high quality. Most category have both red and blue colors and either can be stronger than other. There is no blue and red category within magmas.

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Seriously you have beautiful fish and you love him, I don't think anything else should matter. Without categorizing him with flowerhorn catagory, I would say he is pretty high quality. Most category have both red and blue colors and either can be stronger than other. There is no blue and red category within magmas.
Thank you very much he is beautiful, and I do love him to bits I can't belive it's took me so long to get into flowerhorns, wish I had done it years ago. Oh I thought there was blue and reds where the pearl colours was flipped to red with blue background. Either way as you say it makes no difference I would love him regardless.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store