Edible Small Freshwater Fish

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yeah, down on luck describes the whole situation in central and eastern Europe pretty well for the time between 1914 and 1990 lol
Yeah, I think their liking for poor quality fish meat hasn't entirely left them either, even when good times came around, lol. When the first influx of eastern Europeans hit the UK a good few years ago now, commercial fisheries were going bananas because they'd go carp fishing and start up the barbecue lakeside to eat them!!

They didn't think they were doing anything wrong because that's what they did in their own countries. Fisheries soon put a stop to that, lol.

Reactions: Chub_by

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?
in southeast asia, baby spiny eels and barbs are fried and eaten like chips

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
In inland locations of Colombia and Ecuador, small characins (Astyanax spp., but including juveniles of other genera) are caught in nets and line & hook. A common name is "sardina rabicolorada", which is used for a number of different taxa, and which means red-tail 'sardina'. Often they are fried, heads and all, and taste like crunchy salty cookies.
Interestingly young ladies (teens to early twenties, but mostly teens) are also referred to as Sardinas; in truth, I don't know if young people use this term anymore, but definitely was very much in use when I was growing up.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
As for commercial collection I think Kapenta in Lake Kariba is the most analogous fish. This is definitely industrial fishing of a small freshwater fish that is used for food. The nice thing is Kariba is a much safer body of water than going out to sea.

1637679273376.png1637679318647.png
1637679425233.png
not my pics

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
In poorer regions of central and eastern Europe people used to eat small cyprinids quite regularly (roach, Rudd..).

If we're talking really small fish, Danio Rerio is dried and ground up for spice in their native regions.
also they eat dace,bleak,rudd and many others...

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?
there is small species of freshwater herring in africa...denticeps clupeoides

Reactions: Rtc/tsn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store