Effect of having large driftwoods in tank.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I'm planning to add large pieces of driftwood into my tank.
besides having less water due to the volume being taken up by the driftwood, what else should i be looking out for?

my tank is pleco angel tank.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks :) Adding the driftwood to give more territories to my plecos.
they currently only have a piece of driftwood.

yup they are quite messy :( I might have to do more water changes, I'll try some crushed corals and maybe add my purigen into the tank.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Put a couple wave maker powerheads in for circulation. It will get that poo into the mechanical filters.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Do not put crushed coral in an angel/pleco tank, these fish prefer low pH and soft water. No reason to put coral in, which will raise pH and hardness.
The fish will like the tannins, they do not harm them. It will make your water look like tea- but that can be a very nice natural effect.

Reactions: jeaninel

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Thanks :) my worry is ph might drop too low . I'd like to maintain it between 6.5 to 7.2 . My worry is i have too much bio load

Btw here is the wood

IMG_0099.JPG

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
How far and how quickly pH falls depends on your alkalinity/KH. The acids from driftwood will lower alkalinity. You should test your water's KH with the API GH & KH test kit before adding fish. My water's KH is below 2º and I have to add bicarbonate in tanks which have driftwood.

If you have hard, alkaline water then driftwood is no problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store