Effects of feeding too much on tank water quality

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Been thinking on this for a while and a thread about the death of an Oscar brought it to mind again. Not clear how to frame the comments but will start this way. Plenty of us appear to think excess uneaten food in a tank is problematic. The excess food decays and adds decay products to the closed system. We do not have test kits for many of these decay products so some of us use what we can test for as an indicator. That being nitrates.

Another thought has been occurring to me. What if we add too much food to a tank but all the food is actually consumed by the fish with almost nothing left over to rot. My personal notion has been that having food pass thru a gut is preferable to just decay (rot) in the water.

However I have noticed over the years that fish in a tank will eat many times a day if we choose to feed them. This may be a positive in terms of growing fish to a larger size but are there down sides to such frequent feedings? My unscientific thoughts of late is yes there are some downsides. I have gone to moderate feedings once a day with a few fasting days every week or so.

Since we mostly have small tanks of water compared to wild conditions I kinda figure it can be hard to keep good water quality if we feed all the fish will eat even if they swallow all of it. I also have to a degree begun to figure that stuffed fish may not be any more healthy over long terms that obese dogs or cats.

May be little of merit in these ideas so will welcome negative comments as well as supportive ones. Just feel free to chime in if you wish or ignore if a waste of time.

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
It definitely has a big impact. I have also noticed that the type of food you feed also matters a lot. For instance, pellets that crumble too easily tend to stay suspended in the water as larger fish dont even bother going after the little bits while chewing. When I feed raw shrimp or tilapia. It seems to be cleaner and I get less nitrates after.

But I will say, sometimes is hard to judge how much food is too much or just adequate. Especially with greedy fish like Oscar's hah

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I feed my larger fish maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Smaller ones a couple of times a day if im looking to pack on growth. If not then once a day.

For the most part i dont feed enough for there to be too much uneaten food. If there is i dont go out of my way to remove it. Whether it ends up in the filter or left uneaten in the tank same result.

I dont think uneaten food makes as big of an impact as most would think. Whats in the filter definitely does though

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
It definitely has a big impact. I have also noticed that the type of food you feed also matters a lot. For instance, pellets that crumble too easily tend to stay suspended in the water as larger fish dont even bother going after the little bits while chewing. When I feed raw shrimp or tilapia. It seems to be cleaner and I get less nitrates after.

But I will say, sometimes is hard to judge how much food is too much or just adequate. Especially with greedy fish like Oscar's hah
Absolutely agree. As far as cleanliness (appearance) the type of food makes a huge difference. I feel like chopped fish does make much less of a mess

Reactions: Matteus

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I noticed the more food = more poop.
When i feed tilapia poop are more solid and when pellet the poop look more soft and it breaks easy in the water. Also ive tried feeding one week of pellet only and seems like the water is more cloudy than when i feed tilapia or smelt for a week.

I feed every other day with no left over in my tank, i usually test my water ones a month but i do 90% WC in the main tank and 50% in the sump. I usually let the pump tun in the sump while doing WC.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I feed my larger fish maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Smaller ones a couple of times a day if im looking to pack on growth. If not then once a day.

For the most part i dont feed enough for there to be too much uneaten food. If there is i dont go out of my way to remove it. Whether it ends up in the filter or left uneaten in the tank same result.

I dont think uneaten food makes as big of an impact as most would think. Whats in the filter definitely does though
I have tinfoil barbs for all the uneaten bits. Lol.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store