efficent lighting

jimmie d wad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
south of heaven
i know the smaller ones are more plqant friendly.curent tank stock has already eaten a couple brisel nose plecos.not real sure what i can keep for algee control.other than hope the plants would eat up the nutrirents and after the plants are doing good trying to introduce a smaller pleco.im parsial to clown and brissel nose

J0ker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
New Jersey
Siamensis (Siamese Algae eaters) are the best for algae control in my opinion. You could also do ottos, shrimp, or snails to clean up..

JasonG75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
Memphis, TN
Here is what I'd do.

Get some more wood--Very branchy
Get a lot of Jungle Val
I would also get some Almond Leaves-this will make the water a little brown-RBP natural enviroment
I would attach Java Fern to to the wood-yea I know but when full grown it looks a little like Swords.

Here is the kicker- for algae control, Frog Bite. Yea it can get messy removing it from time to time but it will diffuse the light therefore starving the algae.

jimmie d wad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
south of heaven
frog bite is floating? i am using an over flow so that probably wont work.in the past i have also watched rbps blow down into the sand and kick up gohst shrimp to eat them,and have watched them harass apple snails till they died and then ate them.not sure what ottos are?

JasonG75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
Memphis, TN
Ottos are very small algae eating fish, THEY won't work in your setup.

You really arent going to be able to much on anything LIVE in there.

Since frogbite won't work then maybe Tiger Lotus or Banana plants. Once they sprout a lilly pad it will filter some light.

jimmie d wad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
south of heaven
i had hyasenth in there last fall.it didnt make it through the winter.would water lettuce do better?been thinking about picking up 2 4' ho fixtures from menards and putting aquarium bulbs in there and keeping the cfl bulbs that go in an incadesent sockets. i took the plecos out for a month or two awhile back before the alge got too much for me.

JasonG75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
Memphis, TN
been thinking about picking up 2 4' ho fixtures from menards and putting aquarium bulbs in there and keeping the cfl bulbs that go in an incadesent sockets.

If you had algae issues before, YOU will have MORE if you add the HO Fixtures. I think your lighting is FINE !! Water Lettuce is like Frogbite, just a little bigger.

jimmie d wad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
south of heaven
with lettuce though i can set up a stop at the top of the water and keep it on the side away from the overflow. how is frog bite in comparison to duck weed? is it quite abit bigger?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store