Egg Slime

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Eww, egg slime! Heh, actually this was a rather interesting photo op as I've only seen it a few times before and never gotten to photograph it.

I was just starting to do a WC and tank cleaning on one of my Marmorkreb tanks as one of the females should have little craylings walking around in a few days, so it was a now or never thing (well, now or postpone it for longer than I'm comfortable with). And I startled another female out of her hide. She had apparently just extracted her eggs as they still had the excess sticky, mucus-like substance (glair) all over them and her tail. Usually, we (cray keepers) only get to see the crayfish after they are in berry and the glair has already hardened.

Ewww, slimy crayfish! :yuck:

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
cool pic

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
Oh, so that's what those glair glands do?

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Otto_VonBacon;3072098; said:
Oh, so that's what those glair glands do?
Yup, they make nasty, sticky stuff to stick the eggs onto the pleopods.

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
When i transfered my pregnant cray to the "nursery" tank she didn't have any glair. Does this only appear when they have eggs? mine was already little hatchlings. (little litte, like _ little)

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Yabbadoo;3072608; said:
Good job. Lovely....:yuck:
I get this kinda stuff up my nose. ;)
Stop sniffing/snorting crays, Yabba. And you won't get glair up your nose :grinno:

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Otto_VonBacon;3072726; said:
When i transfered my pregnant cray to the "nursery" tank she didn't have any glair. Does this only appear when they have eggs? mine was already little hatchlings. (little litte, like _ little)
Glair is only liquid/mucus-like when the female is first extracting her eggs. It'll harden shortly afterwards, which is when we normally she the cray with her "berry". So, it's only like the picture right as she's extracting the eggs and attaching them to her pleopods, after that you don't see it anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store