Eheim 2229 review

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Did a quick search on here and didn't find much I just came across one and was interested in it for my 65 gallon. Looking to replace my SunSun. How are they and are there any issues?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have heard mostly good things about Eheim filters :)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The Eheim 2229 is technically a biological wet/dry style filter only though it could be converted to a 'normal' filter with some modification. It is a bit touchy to set up if purchased used since quite a few things can go wrong either through worn parts, damaged parts or incorrect installation on your tank.

It is an older model filter and hasn't been sold new in a few years so I would skip purchasing it. I do own one and it has become a real chore to keep running properly after 10+ years.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
The Eheim 2229 is technically a biological wet/dry style filter only though it could be converted to a 'normal' filter with some modification. It is a bit touchy to set up if purchased used since quite a few things can go wrong either through worn parts, damaged parts or incorrect installation on your tank.

It is an older model filter and hasn't been sold new in a few years so I would skip purchasing it. I do own one and it has become a real chore to keep running properly after 10+ years.
Yeah from the little I've found on them sounds like I should steer clear. Thanks for the info

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You are very welcome!! Don't get me wrong, the filter does work as advertised but it does have it's quirks, it is considered a specialty filter and would not be used as a primary filter on a tank.

Rorschach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2020
I am aware that I am resurrecting an old thread but hopefully nobody minds.

I know of the quirks of this filter but will set up one nevertheless :) Managed to get hold of a unit in good condition and it comes with another complete unit for parts. I appreciate the idea and technology involved and as the price was right, why not.

On the big tank, I already have a relatively large system of three Eheim 2260 buckets set up in series, driven by just one Eheim 2262 pump on the last bucket of the series. As you can see, I tend to like to mix classic stuff (pun intended) in new ways :)

Best regards,
Rorschach

Reactions: deeda

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
three Eheim 2260 buckets set up in series, driven by just one Eheim 2262 pump on the last bucket of the series.
Howdy,

That's quite interesting. Allow me to ask: What is the benefit? I used to run two 2262 on my 220 gal. Yes, each pump draws 80 Watts, but I'd think that if one motor fails the other filter still keeps the tank alive. If your single 1262 pump fails, then all filtration is gone. I might be missing something, thus, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
HarleyK

Rorschach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2020
Hi,

The power draw is a thing. Having multiple 80W pumps running 24/7 means less food on the table for the kids :) In addition to the cost, one strong pump causes less hum and vibration than two or more.

As you probably know, these 1260 and 1262 pumps are super reliable. I have a few that have "Made in W Germany" stamped on them...still functional! :-D So the risk of pump failure is not very high. Plus there's several Eheim 2252s (with extra cartridges) in the tank so there's some filtration even if the main system has a problem.

By having three 2260 buckets with double taps everywhere, I can easily take one bucket out for maintenance and cleaning without much disturbance to the system. However, I am not expecting to do a lot of that as there's four Eheim prefilters at the suction end in the tank.

Regards,
Riku

Last edited:

Rorschach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2020
Forgot to mention a couple things:

The three buckets are full of Siporax: first bucket has 25mm diameter Siporax and the other two have 15mm Siporax. Nothing else, no foam etc. in there. So these will not be clogging too easily! Plus the bio capacity should be able to handle anything....even pouring pure manure into the tank :-D

On the pressure side I have a T-junction where a 16/22mm fork goes to a vertically installed spray bar and a 12/16mm fork goes through two Eheim UV cleaners that are in series (an 800 and a 350). By having a smaller diameter hose and two UVs in series I make sure the water 'dwell time' is sufficient to battle parasites & disease vectors too, not only cloudiness caused by green algae.

Later this year, I am planning to add a simple fluidized bed reactor on the smaller output hose, after the UVs. The reactor will have phosphate trapping material of a suitable particle size in it.

Regards,
Riku

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store