Eight sun catfish, ~9"-11", 5-8 year old, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sun catfish have been a staple of the catfish stock of almost every LFS for a long time, a decade for sure. Their reported wild max size is 18" SL or I guess ~21" TL. The biggest I've come across in captivity however is ~15" TL, which is still pretty remarkable. Of my octet, some are 8 years old, could be even a decade, but none broke even 1' yet TL. Rather, they have been the same size for the last 3-4 years. Most of them are FL rescues except a couple that survived their trip from NY to FL back in 2011.

I have kept them in a 1500 gal pond, 240 gal tank, and then they went into a 4500 gal about 1.5 years ago. They were rather miserable in the tank. Very skittish despite having plenty of calm tank mates. Fed poorly. Maybe they got spoiled having lived the prior 3 years in a 1500 gal pond. It had taken them a long time, perhaps 6 months in the 240 gal to lose most of their beer bellies they acquired in the pond. Then they became very relaxed and very fat again in the 4500 gal. I can't control their food uptake in the 4500 gal and they take full advantage of it.

Once in a while they may have a dispute or a few to establish or enforce their hierarchy. It can get vicious and fins would be missing chunks and the body slamming with pectoral fin stubbing and scraping may get intense but this is usually followed by relative calm for many months or even years.

They swim a lot in the large tank, actually like 75% of the time. Perhaps it helps that the 4500 gal is bare but they are very relaxed and often swim at varying depths in the 4.5' water column. In the morning, it is not usual to find them swimming not far from the top or mid water, usually it is a very laxed swim, with slight tail motion.

They take pellets and fish and anything in between, even when I think they can't possibly eat anything more. The interaction with the tankmates is rather peaceful. At least can't recall them being aggressive to any other fish except rarely between themselves. Fin-nipping tank mates, yet, have been tasting their fins, usually soon after introduction, which largely or almost completely subsided soon thereafter.

in 240 gal tank

Group Aug 6 2015 1.JPG Group Aug 6 2015 2.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You've got one without a dorsal? Lol or a man I going crazy? And I love he goldish color sun cats have, when the light hits it right it really shines. What is the two cats under the sun cat at 0:33?

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Nice sun cats. Largest have ever seen is 12in. My brother owns it along with 2 more that are around 8 or 9in. They are very peaceful like you said but will fuss among themselves at times.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
justarn justarn has one, it has got to be big by now

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Awesome, I love it....I used to have one pushing 12" but I sold him years ago - only took about 3-4 years to get him that big. The one I have now is hitting a growth spurt sine moving him the 125g, probably grew 2 more inches since the last week of November so a guess 5-6" now and 1.5 years old

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
I have seen one that was reported to be 14-15in. (if you have any pics of the one you saw I'd love to see them) but in actuality was probably around 12 or 13in.(still a very nice fish) I remember right it was on a thread here I believe. I remember mine was 9in. when it passed and had a pretty large head. (about the size of my tiny man fist)
Anyways like I said those sun cats are super nice, I don't think I've ever seen them that thick

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Nice cats, mine is pushing 13 inch now, may measure him soon... got him/her in 2010 at about 6 inch.
I remember a member on here showing a pic of him holding his asc, recall it being claimed at 16-17 inch tl and it looked it.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Sun catfish have been a staple of the catfish stock of almost every LFS for a long time, a decade for sure. Their reported wild max size is 18" SL or I guess ~21" TL. The biggest I've come across in captivity however is ~15" TL, which is still pretty remarkable. Of my octet, some are 8 years old, could be even a decade, but none broke even 1' yet TL. Rather, they have been the same size for the last 3-4 years. Most of them are FL rescues except a couple that survived their trip from NY to FL back in 2011.

I have kept them in a 1500 gal pond, 240 gal tank, and then they went into a 4500 gal about 1.5 years ago. They were rather miserable in the tank. Very skittish despite having plenty of calm tank mates. Fed poorly. Maybe they got spoiled having lived the prior 3 years in a 1500 gal pond. It had taken them a long time, perhaps 6 months in the 240 gal to lose most of their beer bellies they acquired in the pond. Then they became very relaxed and very fat again in the 4500 gal. I can't control their food uptake in the 4500 gal and they take full advantage of it.

Once in a while they may have a dispute or a few to establish or enforce their hierarchy. It can get vicious and fins would be missing chunks and the body slamming with pectoral fin stubbing and scraping may get intense but this is usually followed by relative calm for many months or even years.

They swim a lot in the large tank, actually like 75% of the time. Perhaps it helps that the 4500 gal is bare but they are very relaxed and often swim at varying depths in the 4.5' water column. In the morning, it is not usual to find them swimming not far from the top or mid water, usually it is a very laxed swim, with slight tail motion.

They take pellets and fish and anything in between, even when I think they can't possibly eat anything more. The interaction with the tankmates is rather peaceful. At least can't recall them being aggressive to any other fish except rarely between themselves. Fin-nipping tank mates, yet, have been tasting their fins, usually soon after introduction, which largely or almost completely subsided soon thereafter.

in 240 gal tank

View attachment 1226092 View attachment 1226094
my biggest question is their vision......during the day. They have those large eyes, but is that just so they can see better at night and the pupils can absorb more light? They really don't seem to hunt by sight, but at the same time they sure do spook easily. Anyone else ever wonder about this?

I think it's a fair question considering most - or at least ALOT of catfish have tiny eyes and very poor vision.....and at that same time while some seem to be "Swimming Noses" with a sense of smell and taste that rivals a Shark I noticed some cats will go right past food and ignore it, or don't realize it's food - even with a food item that is part of their captive diet.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've stared at my guys yesterday for a long time and think the biggest 4-5 are 12"-14" TL. Lately I've been trying to not overestimate my fish. Given, of course, this is all but crude eyeballing.

You've got one without a dorsal? Lol or a man I going crazy? And I love he goldish color sun cats have, when the light hits it right it really shines. What is the two cats under the sun cat at 0:33?
Your wit is fine. On this occasion anyway ;) You have a sharp eye, bro! Yes, one has a strange mutation wherein it misses 95% of the dorsal fin. Never seen with any other. That's the way I rescued it at 5" about 4 years ago.

IDK if anyone noticed, one of the biggest has a crooked mouth - one side of the lower lip hangs down, like it had a stroke (which is not funny of course). But in general, it seems sun cats do not bear many mutations or deformities. I think they are all wild caught and get damaged in people's care(lessness).

Yup, with right light, their color is highly pleasing.

I think you are talking about aluminum cats. Got their video uploaded on Youtube already, just need to make a thread and write something.

I have seen one that was reported to be 14-15in. (if you have any pics of the one you saw I'd love to see them) but in actuality was probably around 12 or 13in.(still a very nice fish) I remember right it was on a thread here I believe. I remember mine was 9in. when it passed and had a pretty large head. (about the size of my tiny man fist)
Anyways like I said those sun cats are super nice, I don't think I've ever seen them that thick
That's the only one I know of F FASTLANE https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-15-sun-catfish.409013/

Nice sun cats. Largest have ever seen is 12in. My brother owns it along with 2 more that are around 8 or 9in. They are very peaceful like you said but will fuss among themselves at times.
Good looking tank and fish. They do much better in greater numbers. I've always wanted 2-3 dozen to see what would happen. I saw that at an LFS once with adult fish. They swam together in the open in the middle of a tank and were relaxed and happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store